Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mainblaine456

Long stem cuttings

mainblaine456
12 years ago

Has anyone ever tried rooting hardwood cuttings around 4-5 feet? I had an idea of growing some forsythia and rose cuttings like this to train a 'standard' form tree type. Figure the long cuttings would be a good start.

Ive got 6 foot long hardwood cuttings of forsythias callusing in the basement, waiting for spring. They're all last years growth. I'm gunna give it a try and will let anyone know how it turns out in spring.

Comments (7)

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

They are called truncheons, and some plants lend themselves well to that type of propagation. I would think forsythia truncheons would be a sure bet. I'm not as sure about the roses, but they'll probably work also.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

the problem is usually. the more leaf surface.. the more internal water needed ... and w/o a root system ... where will it get the water to support itself.. until it might grow roots ...

and also.. what might be done by a professional .. with pro equipment.. might not be easily done by the novice ...

all that said.. go for it ...

as to the forsythia ... cut it.. and immediately stick them in the ground.. and 90% will root ... give it a try ...

as for roses.. i suspect no success .. just to foo foo

its like you are going to try the two polar opposites ... and that is a good way to learn.. because nearly everything else.. will be between them ....

ken

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

For the plants that do well when grown from truncheons, the larger bulk means more stored energy and the ability to survive longer without roots. Truncheons can be so reliable that they need only to be stuck in the ground - no rooting hormone, no babying, etc.

• mainblaine456
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for the advice. I'll let you know what happens in the spring.

As for the rose cuttings, i'm going to try rosa multiflora which should be a little bit easier to root. I have dumb luck with these things sometimes so here's hoping!

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    12 years ago

If you have the time, take pictures and post them here. It would be interesting to see the process and results!

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    12 years ago

i still dont see how you are going to get the rose to create a woody standard .... to create a rose at height ...

regardless.. knock yourself out.. and have fun

ken

• peggiewho
    12 years ago

Try many starts is my advice. I do this on accident each year and the failure rate is high. I live in the city with lots of fences. Squirrels have few predators and the hawks cannot maneuver around the fences. I have tiles and broken pottery to cover open potting soil. I also use pear tree trimmings and Lady Banks rose shots to make a basket weave around the top of my pots. I stick both ends of the cuttings into the potting soil to make big loops and go around the pot a couple of times. It is a tail thing, they don't like it. Anyway, the pears always bloom but mostly die. The Lady Banks rose usually put out shots and mostly take. I go around later and knock them off. So to begin with everything will look fine and promising but you may have trouble as the weather warms and the big stick tops start demanding nourishment. DH thinks it is a miracle and brags to our friends about my green thumb. Get off the couch and have fun in the dirt.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer