Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is there a way to root these?

Posted by ms_minnamouse 7b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 11, 07 at 18:11

Our hollies were run over and some branches broke off. These are mostly hard wood. Is there any way to root these? I know hardwood like this would be really hard but I have a heating pad and rooting hormone and superthrive.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is there a way to root these?

You didn't reveal the species or cultivar of your Holly. Many Hollies are very difficult to root, but many are extremely easy. I have had a high degree of success by the use of a mixture of PRO-MIX and PERLITE (1:1), ioooppm of IBA in talc, and bottom heat with mist if you have it. A thin sheet of polyethylene film works just about as well as mist. Rooting generally requires about six weeks-sooner or longer-depending upon time of year. I would also recomend a peek at a good text on roting hardwood cuttings;most libraries have several.
Good Luck!!!

o

I made a mistake. These are American boxwood. I wish we could edit our posts..

o

Hey, now is the time to do your hardwood cuttings, during the winter...You can also do them in the spring. You have several options.
1. Take hardwood cutting now.
2. Trim back your boxwoods to spur new growth and take softwood cutting in the spring.
3. Just wait until spring and take some cuttings.

I would opt for solution number 2. When you trim your boxwood, it will encourage much more growth next year, even if it does look ugly than it already does. That way you can make cuttings with a higher success rate and faster growth. It doesn't sound like your 100% sure what the difference between hardwood and softwood is, so check out the site below, he explains it perfectly! Also here is a good video that I found on his site...

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrub Propagation

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here