Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to get a cutting of root stock to root

Posted by BegoniaRob 8B/9A (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 22, 14 at 19:51

I went to a grafting class and we learned how to graft apple trees. They started with root stock MM111 and clipped the top to make space for the cleft graft--the instructor asked if we wanted to take the top portion of the root stock and try to get it to root. So I did.

But, I don't know how to have a cutting of root stock root?

Can I put it in a plastic bag in sunny spot inside with some moist sphagnum moss?

Thanks,
Rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to get a cutting of root stock to root

I'd stick it in the ground and see what happens. MM111 (and the virus-indexed version, EMLA111) roots pretty easily. Hopefully you haven't let it dry out any. If the cutting has dried out, I'd just go ahead and toss it.

o
RE: How to get a cutting of root stock to root

sand , vermiculite , perlite etc.. are good rooting mediums. Dip it in rooting hormone and stick it in sand and put a jar over it or put it in a gallon ziplock bag to control humidity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here