Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Saving an Old Apple Tree

Posted by David88 5a W. Central IL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 7, 13 at 19:59

My sister has an old apple tree in her yard that my great uncle had developed about 100 years ago. At one time there were many in our area but to our knowledge this is the last surviving one. Her husband wants to cut it down and she does not know how much longer she can hold him off. About twenty years ago our cousin tried to graft some cuttings but none of them worked. I have read that if you cut a small section of bark around a stem and put rooting hormone on it and then surround it with soil and seal it up it will develop roots and then you can plant it. Has anyone tried this successfully? Are there better ways? I have never tried grafting and really want something as foolproof as possible. This tree has sentimental meaning to me and my family and I would like to get several growing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Saving an Old Apple Tree

Google 'air-layering' for specifics on the method you are contemplating. Grafting is much more reliable than air-layering for all apple cultivars, as far as I know. Different cultivars have very different take-rates for rooting cuttings (and layering branches). Sounds like your cousin may not have done something right.

I wonder why your brother-in-law wants to cut the tree down.

You might want to consider contacting a local orchardist to see if you could get some help with grafting. I bet you could find someone that would be VERY HAPPY to help you save a threatened apple cultivar. Many would probably accept a scion for their own use as payment for their service. If you can't find someone locally, post a request on the Fruit and Orchards Forum.

o

You might make a call/visit to your local extension office. You never know.....you might very well get some help there.

o

i would direct you to the fruit forum ...

and ask there.. if there are any providers.. who will do this for you ...

why not pay to have it done.. and be insured of success ...

or try googling something like 'custom grafting of apple trees' ....

its grafting time right now.. you might be able to have trees back this summer.. or fall at the latest ... i dont know how it all times out with apples ...

ken

o
curiosity got the better of me..

curiosity got the better of me.. check out the first two links ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o

If you have an apple rootstock, grafting the apple you want to save onto any apple should work well. Now is the perfect time of year. I've grafted onto mature trees and also small crabapple seedlings two or three years old. For me the way to success was in wrapping the graft well to prevent dehydration. Remember to align cambium on the scion to cambium on the rootstock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here