Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plumeria

Posted by a1chemyst 7-Georgia (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 25, 10 at 21:17

in case you didnt know its the same kind of plants that makes the flowers on hawaiin 'leis'. Looks pretty easy to prob, just cut a branch and stick in sand water thoroughly every week or so right? can it root in water? And is it like a bush thing??? i assume by 'branches' it would be a tree or bush. Uhm dont know much about it. I assume it needs pretty decent light and can sustain itself in sand without actual SOIL just the pourous sand like on the beach? Please dont ignore any questions :) id prefer you to at least give your opinion on them :) thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plumeria

its a small decidious small tree. branches have a milky ssap.... requires a warm temp it hates the cold.... filtered light & loam soil... run on the dry side.
Propagation:: take a hard wood cutting apply 0.8% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist... takes 500 to 100 days to root.

o

Erm MIST??? or WATER... and loam soil? im a person of simple vocabularys

o

mist use a old windex btl & spary water on the leaf to increase humidity.........Loam (GOOD garden soil) is a soil with a high % organic material (compost, peat moss etc....) NOT SAND

o

aren't you are suppose to use grit mix???

o

They will rot in the cool part of the year when they are not growing. The roots must be kept dry. or nearly dry during this period or they will rot. When the temp warms and they can be put outside, new growth will start and they will appreciate both water and fertilizer. Al

o

Plumeria root the best in Spring. The technique would be similar to rooting a cactus pad.

Callus cuttings for a week or two. Use rooting powder. Put in well-draining soil that has been premoistened. I use plastic containers so you can see roots when they develop.

DO NOT WATER until you see leaves developing (or roots) -- leaves should be at least 4" in length. You can mist occasionally. If soil it completely dry, you can carefully water a bit around the perimeter of the pot. Basically the soil should be 'humid', but not wet. If you are rooting outdoors and have high humidity and warm temps, you do not need to water.

Bottom heat or consistent temps of between 80 and 90 degrees will improve success. Some varieties will root in winter with bottom heat. Others are even difficult to root in Spring.

o

If plumeria roots best in spring, is there a way to keep the cuttings I got recently until spring before putting them in soil?

o

There is a forum just for Plumeria here. I got a couple cuttings about a month ago. They are doing well, starting to grow a bit again. I just stuck them in the pot of an existing plant. In the spring, I'll give them a more permanent arrangement.

This is the bigger one a few days ago. Good luck to everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here