Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plants77_gw

Aeroponic cloning basic questions

plants77
15 years ago

I had been toying around with the idea of aeroponic cloning for a while, designing it in my head. I had a continuing education course (I'm a science teacher) today that touched on it and hydroponics culture and am going to put a simple clone machine together - for my own gratification and as a project for my students.

First, with respect to the resovoir in the tub the cuttings hang in, how close to the cuttings should the water level be? Is the idea that the pump just spits a minute amount of moisture or should there be a consistent misting happening?

Second, are you using just plain water or a nutrient solution, like conventional hydro. Also, what about adding an algaecide to the solution, or captan? Both? Any data on how they effect rooting? Or any experience? If a little bit of diltuted chemical can reduce the amount of time I spend changing out the solution it's worth it.

Finally, I don't like the look of the neoprene or foam slips holding the cutting. Why not just submerge a small net pot with rock wool media?

Comments (4)

• token28001
    15 years ago

In my homemade machine, my cuttings are about 1/2" above the water level. My air pump runs 24/7. Softwood cuttings of tender plants root in about a week to 12 days. Cuttings from a pyracanthus took about 3 weeks. Some still haven't gotten past the callus stage after 5 weeks.

I use plain water with a little miracle grow transplant solution. Just half a cap full. It seems to work better than plain water. I keep my reservoir dark which keeps the algae growth to a minimum. I change the water about every 3 weeks (when I think about it).

Net pots should work fine. I've read mixed reviews on rockwool though. It seems to stay too wet which causes rot. Try expanded clay pellets instead to keep the water away from the cuttings.

• plants77
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks. I decided against the rock wool for that reason. Got some hydoton clay pellets from the local stoner shop. What an interesting place BTW!

• token28001
    15 years ago

All my information came from cannabis forums. Apparently, they're cheaper than I am. LOL

• hex2006
    15 years ago

Sounds like a bubble cloner to me :)
    If you want a true aeroponic propagator you`ll need the correct pressure and heads to create an atomised mist and a cycle timer for control.

Its pretty easy to do if you have sufficient mains water pressure as you can use it in place of a pump.
    Just add a solenoid valve and a cycle timer..thats about it.

A propagator doesnt need any nutrient supply and as its run-to-waste, it also ensures fresh clean water for every pulse. There isnt any water level in aeroponics, the plants are suspended in an empty chamber :)

The only hurdle with this design is the mains water temperature.. its usually pretty cold. Easily fixed with a coil of pipe in a igloo cooler filled with water and an aquarium heater which acts as a heat exchanger for the water supply line to the solenoid valve.
    It takes mine at least 90 minutes for the water to travel through the coil so it has plenty of time to warm up to 70-75F. My 60 site propagator runs with a one second pulse every 120 seconds and uses about 250ml of water per hour, 6L a day which is collected and used on the garden.

The bubble cloner is a lot easier to make but technically its not aeroponic :)

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus