Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
starting iris from a leaf cutting

Posted by illinoisdoglover z5IL (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 14, 13 at 23:25

Has anyone tried to start iris from a piece of leaf? Curious if it has been successfully done or is it only done commercialy in labs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: starting iris from a leaf cutting

I haven't done it. Indeed I don't even grow any Irises. (You don't specify which Irises) But I suspect this only works with tissue culture, rather than simply leaf cuttings, and is confined to the lab.

o
RE: starting iris from a leaf cutting

i thought TC was based on multiplying growth points ... speaking very simply ...

on hosta its the meristem tissue that is susceptible to TC ...

as noted.. we dont know what type of iris you are asking about ...

rhizome multiplication would seem the way to go on bearded iris ...

and on the more grass type iris.. japanese i believe.. it would be more of a root or bud type propagation ...

i am guessing.. simply to give you some base knowledge to perhaps google .. if you so wish ...

ken

ps: there are not many things that root leaves .... its simply the wrong structure.. on most plants ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here