Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
runswithscissors_gw

Half Flats

runswithscissors
11 years ago

I used to order Jiffy Half Flats from Home Harvest Supply, but it seems they have gone out of business. Those half flats are the greatest thing for seed starting! Any idea where I can purchase more?...I've done google search and have not been able to come up with anything.

These trays/flats are exactly half the size of a 1020.

You can find humidity domes that fit the tray but not the tray itself...it's very frustrating.

Comments (12)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

great user name..

see link

but what happened to your old ones???

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    11 years ago

Scissors, why do you like the half flats over the standard size? I don't think I've ever even seen the halfs.

I'll look around to see if I can find some on line.

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Ken for the link, but that's not what I was hoping for. I originally bought them just to try, and then found out how much I LOVE them...but alas....I need a bunch more.

rhizo: They work so well for two reasons: one, they're not as heavy when they are full of dirt and plants as the whole ones, and I can easily manuever them one-handed. (But two ony take up the same space as a big one.) Plus I find that it's easier to keep like-minded plants together. Some seeds like it hot to germ, some like it cooler. Some like it only warm and then later cool. Some, need dark, some need a chill period in the frig and some like it more shady than sunny, ect. If I plant different seeds of plants that need the same requirements, it's just easier for me to keep track of who is where and what do they need now.

I still can't find the flats tho...I've even tried to contact Jiffygroup hoping that is the same "Jiffy" company that I'm needing.

11 years ago

Here's a lead for you....apparently, these flats are manufactured by Dillen, a plastics company. Dillen supplies many of the wholesale and retail dealers of nursery products.

• SusanC
    11 years ago
  • flora_uk
    11 years ago

I am interested in what is meant by a 'flat'. Is it an open tray or is it divided into sections? It is not a term we use over here, so I'm curious. Maybe it's what I'd call a seed tray?

Here is a link that might be useful: Are these 'flats'?

• GladesVB
    11 years ago

I have also been looking for the half flats and cannot find them anywhere. If you locate them, please let us know. They are so convenient - and I can't imagine why they appear to be no longer available.

11 years ago

Flora, attached are pictures of what I am referring to as a seed flat. I use them for the germination of seeds as well as to put the inserts into when I transplant. The inserts fit into the flats perfectly.

If you scroll down on the first page, you will see the 1801 inserts, which is the size I prefer. The flats allow me to carry those 18 plants around easily.

If cleaned and stored properly, these plastic items last for a long time, year after year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click here

• GladesVB
    11 years ago

There is a picture and description in the link.

You used to be able to buy the half-flats separately from the domes. Now it's hard to find them at all.

Glades

Here is a link that might be useful: Half flats

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

Thanks, rhizo_1. I had got the right mental picture. It's what we call a seed tray. Half and quarter sizes are widely available here. T and M does them. Don't they do them in the US?

Here is a link that might be useful: Seed trays.

• runswithscissors
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes Glades! That's it. Those are the ones I'm looking for. They are a little flimsey, but so useful for my operation.

Plantation Products at Ace hardware are similar, but the ones they have on the shelves here are made for the little jiffy-ones and have little circles molded into them. They would work just the same, but pricey. Way!

• GladesVB
    11 years ago

I have some of the ones designed for Jiffy's, and I think the molded circles tend to make them a bit flimsy. The original half-flats are more sturdy. I have called around to several horticultural supply warehouse-type operations and have been told they have been discontinued. Bad timing, in my opinion, for Jiffy. These are great for older people - not so heavy and awkward to lift and move as the 1020's.

Sponsored
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery
Average rating: 4.4 out of 5 stars233 Reviews
Ferguson Bath, Kitchen & Lighting Gallery