Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
daffodil seeds?

Posted by silkysacto z8/9Sacramento (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 08 at 1:14

Yes, I know that the narcissus/daffodil family multiplies at the base bulbs, but what is the function of that small bulb at the base of the bloom? That hard "sack" appears to contain something that looks like seeds. All my daffodils are finished blooming now and I'm wondering if I pick the spent flowers and plant those dead-heads with the bloom-base-sacks... will those sacks bring future clumps? I'm sure those sacks are called something but I don't know the terminology for them. They must have some function.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: daffodil seeds?

the "sack" will eventually contain the seeds. This seed pod must mature & will then dry (turn brown/black) after that point (& not before) let pod sit at 70F for 4 weeks. Then store at 40F for 4 weeks THEN>>>>> lightly cover the seed siul temp 68-71F & takes 14-28 days to germinate.

o

I have some Paperwhite narcissus blooming right now. It is indoor, so there is no insect to pollinate the flowers. If I want to get some seed, do I have to manually pollinate them? Or will they self pollinate?

Thanks,
Dave

o

I am fond of daffodils. I want to grow every(greedy !) species of it. Difficulties is custom stricts. Doesnt permit to import bulbs.
So I have to grow it from seed. But I havent find any site selling daffodil seeds..
Anyone can help me?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here