Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to know if my Raspberry is PATENTED?

Posted by jolj 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 3:44

A man gave a raspberry to a Nurserymen, because it grows good in the south. The Nurseryman gave a plant to me. The Nurseryman retired & closed his Nursery.
I planted my raspberry, but did not tie the canes up(it grows like a dew berry) & they ALL rooted on the tips. This has went on for 4 years, & I am up to my neck in raspberries.
How am I to know or find out if this Plant is under a patented?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to know if my Raspberry is PATENTED?

If you look our your window and see a group similar to...
then you will know that you have propagated a patented plant. It is a federal no,no. Bad.

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8aS.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 21:02

When they get here, they can have the plants.
I did not propagate them they grew wild, with out fertilizer. weeding, mulch or pruning.
How can I be propagating something I ignore?

o

Unless the nurseryman gave you the proper cultivar name for the plant, there's no practical way for you to know whether or not it's patented. If you were given the name, you could do a search on one of the patent websites like PatentGenius.

If you don't plan on selling the plant, you probably don't really need to worry about it anyway. It is technically illegal for you to purposely propagate the plant, but allowing it to resprout from the tips that touch the ground DOES NOT count as propagating unless you remove AND replant or sell the new plants. Even if you gave a few divisions away to friends (which would be illegal), I'd guess that the chances of it ever causing you problems are very slim. If you have a nursery license and are thinking of selling the plant commercially or are considering developing it as a registered cultivar, you'll need to take steps/research to the best of your ability to ensure that your plant is not one of the patented cultivars.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here