Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I'm having trouble with Fuchsia cuttings

Posted by TravelingBiker none (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 4:17

Hi. I've read alot of advice in this forum about starting cuttings.
I used the techniques shown in the following video to try to start cuttings (except the plastic bag, I didn't do that).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BYxicA7-5Fg

I've tried to start cuttings 5 times and all of them failed. I always read in this forum that it's easy to grow fuchsia cuttings but I haven't had that experience.

Can anyone please help me? I love these plants and really want to be able to propagate them.

Thanks,

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I'm having trouble with Fuchsia cuttings

Use the bag! It's not just decoration. It keeps the atmosphere around the cuttings moist so they don't transpire too much and dry up. It also means you don't have to keep watering the cuttings and running the risk of over doing it and causing them to rot.

The technique in the film looks fine to me except I'd get a lot more than 4 cuttings off that pant.

o

I looked at the video and it was OK. The bagging or tenting with clear plastic, is a must for softwood or greenwood cuttings. It will take a month or more to root and be able to draw up moisture from the new roots to keep the stem and any leaf material turgid. This means that the humidity of the air around the cutting must be kept close to 100%. For home propagators that means tenting to keep the moisture. Why don't you want to tent, when the video clearly shows it is required? Al

o

Ok, I'll try it again, tenting this time, and I'll report back with my results. Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Weblog

o
RE: even clear water didn't work

It's interesting, I also tried rooting them in clear water and that didn't work either. So much for easy... ;)

o

Now that you are convinced tenting is necessary lets mention venting. With the warm humidity under your tent fungus in the form of mold, is quite likely to grow. It is almost impossible to have a starting medium with no fungus spores included. I always remove my tents every other day and turn them inside out, before putting them back on, as this removes the excess moisture, in the form of condensation, on the inside of the tent. When I first started propagating cuttings I would leave the tent off for 20 minutes or so before putting it back. Believe it or not, this is long enough to allow the the cutting(especially soft wood cuttings)to wilt, from which they have a struggle to recover. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here