Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darrylenes

Shrub cuttings in a glass of water?

darrylenes
16 years ago

Hi:

I'm alittle confused at all the postings re this question.

What I would like to do is produce rooted cuttings for the following in a glass of water:

rugosa roses, forsythia, spirea, potentilla, boxwood, smokebush, sandcherry

Has anyone had success with any of these specifically?

Do I use hardwood (winter) or softwood (spring) cuttings?

Do I put fertilizer in the water?

I'm sorry if this has been answered a million times over, but I'm on dialup and cannot check postings with 76 entries which probably has all the answers.

Many thanks for any advise!

Darrylene

Comments (4)

• growjo
    16 years ago

Darrylene,
    My experience at this is very limited as I am just learning also. I believe the roses, forsythia, boxwood are hardwood cuttings,the spirea, potentilla and sandcherry and smokebush are softwood. We've traded before so I'll have your mail address and will try to forward you some info sites I've found on propagation. I was taking cuttings a month ago and broke off an old stick of my blue artic willow, suck it in a small vase and its full of roots. I really enjoy propagation.
    Bye for now,
    growjo

• origami_master
    16 years ago

the difference in soft wood and hard wood is exactly waht it suggests. soft wood is the new green growth which hasn't started to harden. it bends easily and roots relatively quickly though it tends to dry out fast. hard wood is growth which has completely hardened (usually brown or bark covered). these are mostly used for winter propagation. Semi ripe, is a middle ground between the soft wood and hard wood. it strikes best, so I'v ebeen told, and this is what most gardeners use. these are green with a bit of matured growth (bark). you can distinguish semi ripe from soft wood but snapping the branch. soft wood does not snap in half, it merely bends. hardwood is hard to snap. semi ripe cuttings can be snapped without much force, and will produce the characteristic 'pop' sound when snapped off. did I confuse you? lol

• john_ny
    16 years ago

I would use the semi-ripe, a couple weeks after flowering. Most of these are quite easy. I don't know what a sand cherry is, but if it's a Prunus (peach, cherry, plum, apricot, etc.) you might try some hardwood, as I mentioned in my reply to the Tri-lite posting. While you will probably get some rooting in water, I think you would have better results with a mix of ½ peat and ½ perlite. Put the mix in a pot, or flat, moisten, treat the cuttings with hormone, and stick. Put the whole thing in a clear plastic bag, out of direct sun. Open, for an hour or so, every couple of days to check moisture, and give them some air.
    With the water method, no fertilizer until you have good roots, and then (if at all) very weak solution.
    Good Luck.

• tuscanseed
    16 years ago

I've rooted rugosa rose hardwood cuttings successfully in water when they were placed under shoplights the entire time, small baggie over top of cuttings but left open at the bottom.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County