Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My blueberry cuttings are growing!

Posted by stoloniferous 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 08 at 10:01

I could dance a jig: Ive never tried growing anything from cuttings before, and thought Id give it a shot with wild blueberry. Ive got them in a sandy soil mix and sealed up in gallon milk jugs so that I wouldnt have to water them. After ignoring them for only a week and a half, I peeked in to find the buds swelling and one emerging leaf! Woot!

I assume now it would be best if I continued to leave them be for a few more weeks so as not to damage the new roots. . . In the mean time Im going to see what else I can get some cuttings of. This is addictive!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My blueberry cuttings are growing!

Oh I hope I am not ruining your dance. Am I right to assume that these are hardwood cuttings (because of the time of year and your zone)? You may want to check to see if you have any roots. My guess is that bringing these in from the cold has broken their dormancy. If they have no roots, they will use up their energy stores and then die. It really is fun and addictive. However, hardwood cuttings taken from dormant stock are handled much differently than actively growing tip cuttings. I really hope your blueberry cuttings make it, but if they don't, don't give up.

o

Oh. Bummer. These are hardwood cuttings. Got any suggestions?

o

I grow blueberries from hardwood cuttings. As long as the soil stays warm, they will eventually grow roots. You might only get 40% or 50% to root, but it's better than none. I usually make softwoof cuttings in June to get a higher survival rate. I like to put my hardwood cuttings on a table near a south facing window preferrably close to a furnace vent or another source of warmth such as a radiator. Keep the soil temp around 70 degrees F and they will root about 2 to 4 weeks after bud break. I hope this helps.

o

Thanks for the info, Price! My cuttings have little leaves and look reasonably happy, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed. One website I found did mention that even in commercial propagation of lowbrush blueberry, that only 50% can be expected to survive. If I "only" get 40% to root, I'll be thrilled!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here