Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My dracene massengenea is flowering

Posted by jaydenlayla none (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 10:09

Can i somehow get seeds from the flower on my "corn plant"? Do i cut the flower off?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My dracene massengenea is flowering

you would need to get pollen on the flower.. to make seed ...

and then you would wait until the seed is ripe ... before removing it from the plant ...

that said.. i would think you can make more plants faster.. by stem cuttings ....

ken

o

This is cool to hear about, hope to see it sometime! It's always easiest to have insects perform pollination but it shouldn't be hard to do manually. A paintbrush, Q-tip, or toothpick should do it, or simply remove a stamen and contact it to the pistil, which would probably require tweezers or excellent dexterity and good fingernails.

To make it easier to search for more info, the correct spelling is Dracaena fragrans 'Massangeana.'

o

Dracaena fragrans Massangeana is generally more fragrant during the evening hours to attract moths, their primary pollinators.
I have seen some pretty cool moths, such as the many Hawk Moths come to this fragrant flowering plant. I would place the plant outdoors for a few days and let Nature do its thing, weather permitting...
D. fragrans blooms during short days, spiking around Christmas and blooming shortly after the New Year in their natural habitat.
They like it warm, with temps no < 65 degrees.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here