Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ficus tree grafting

Posted by smittygrow 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 4, 08 at 11:16

I have some ficus trees in pots about 3 ft. tall. I would like to graft some branches onto limbs that are sparse. That is, to make the plant more bushy.
I have made some grafts using a slanted cut & inserting a wedge-cut branch in the cut & sealing with toilet-wax-ring wax. Should I remove some leaves from the new branch graft ? It's only been a few days since I did some grafts, so there's no results yet. Also, I have in the past done some braiding of 3 plants.
These have been done while starting with young cuttings, & have turned out well. I don't have a *green thumb* by a long shot, but trying !
Smitty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ficus tree grafting

I have a ficus in a planter indoors. It spent the summer out on my shaded patio (Missouri) doing quite well. However when my husband brought this miniature tree had not leave or branches on the one side of the tree. I would like to graft branches from where it is thick to the bare side. I have heard of this being done, but cannot find information. Can you help?

o
RE: Ficus tree grafting

• Posted by tapla z5b-6a mid-MI (My Page) on
    Tue, Nov 13, 12 at 14:02

The key to a full ficus tree doesn't hinge on your grafting skills, it hinges on your ability to provide the cultural conditions your plant prefers and a pruning/pinching plan that forces the back-budding required to keep the plant full. In most cases, experienced growers would reserve grafting for older trees that are exhibiting reluctance to back-bud on old wood.

What species are we talking about? Thread grafting and approach grafting are easy, and offer near 100% success, but may not be appropriate for all species of Ficus.

Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here