Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Propagating with ground dirt

Posted by backyardfarmener So Calif (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 11:28

I ran out of money and primarily patience by trying propagation as my first activity in my new gardening hobby. Can i just use regular dirt from the ground to propagate? I used a grass flat with holes in the bottom to keep most rocks out...I guess i should of asked this question before I ended up with a huge pile of nice ground dirt in my driveway!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Propagating with ground dirt

The MOIST soil should first be heated to 120F for 30 minutes first (to sterilize the soil) allow the soil to cool then use.....there shoild be some organic matter in the soil.

o

You can get some things to root in plain soil, depends on which plant you are trying to work with. Even using plain sand some times can work. But really a lot use just peat moss and perlite. You can get a lot of cuttings with using 3.8 cu ft of peat and perlite mix which would probably cost no more than $25 or so.

o

Your huge pile of dirt in your driveway I guess is a yard or two of "topsoil" you ordered delivered. You can propagate lots of plants in it. Divisions work really well. Cuttings from many plants will also do well. If you plan on growing from seed, the weed seeds in the topsoil are usually much faster than the seeds you plant, which will be overwhelmed if the soil is not sterilized first as george has suggested. Al

o

I think it depends on what you are trying to grow, how easily it roots, and the conditions it is put in.

Outdoor soil is very biologically active, containing insects, fungi, bacteria and weed seeds. If you want to root a plant that is very strong and hardy, roots well and is well-adapted to your climate, you can do it. Plants that are more difficult to root will probably not fair well.

If you want to use outdoor dirt try layering instead of making cuttings. Layering is like a cutting but the portion of the plant you are trying to root is still attached to the plant. You can feed a stem/shoot through the drain holes in the bottom of a pot, make a few knicks/wounds in the stem with a knife, filling the pot with dirt, waiting a few weeks and then severing the stem below the pot.

The reason why this is easier than cutting is that the portion of the plant being rooted is still being fed by the parent plant, so it can hold its own in the thriving ecosystem of garden soil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here