Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zelda77

black currant cuttings won't root zone 4-5

zelda77
10 years ago

The bush is an unknown variety, possibly 10 years old, and the fruit is sweet and has a mild flavor. I have black currants in my garden that have that strong black currant aftertaste and smell, this bush does not. My currants root quickly from cuttings. So far no currant cutting rooting method I've tried with this unknown variety bush has worked. I use rooting powder, have put cuttings in a perlite mix indoors and out, put them directly in the ground, put them in a tunnel, covered a pot of cuttings with a plastic bag, used short and long cuttings, cut the tops off or left them on, split the bottoms, scraped the bark. So far nothing has produced rooted cuttings. Last fall I pinned some bent over branches hoping to get roots this spring. I've read hundreds of method suggestions and other people's experiences where everyone says rooting currants is easy. I've had 100% failure. Is there a currant variety that just won't root from cuttings and needs air layering or has to be grown from seed? Or is there a method better than what I've tried? Or a time of year that absolutely always produces rooted cuttings?

Comments (3)