Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
black currant cuttings won't root zone 4-5

Posted by zelda77 4 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 11:50

The bush is an unknown variety, possibly 10 years old, and the fruit is sweet and has a mild flavor. I have black currants in my garden that have that strong black currant aftertaste and smell, this bush does not. My currants root quickly from cuttings. So far no currant cutting rooting method I've tried with this unknown variety bush has worked. I use rooting powder, have put cuttings in a perlite mix indoors and out, put them directly in the ground, put them in a tunnel, covered a pot of cuttings with a plastic bag, used short and long cuttings, cut the tops off or left them on, split the bottoms, scraped the bark. So far nothing has produced rooted cuttings. Last fall I pinned some bent over branches hoping to get roots this spring. I've read hundreds of method suggestions and other people's experiences where everyone says rooting currants is easy. I've had 100% failure. Is there a currant variety that just won't root from cuttings and needs air layering or has to be grown from seed? Or is there a method better than what I've tried? Or a time of year that absolutely always produces rooted cuttings?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: black currant cuttings won't root zone 4-5

I'm afraid I have nothing to suggest. As you say blackcurrant is incredibly easy to grow from cuttings. Any stick shoved in the ground will grow in my experience. Maybe yours isn't Ribes nigrum but a different Ribes? Especially if it doesn't have the characteristic smell and taste.

o

Have you tried heel cuttings? May be one of those varieties that will only root by this method, Also do a search on this Forum for my 'Toothpick Technique'. Usually successful for hard to root woodies. I have had many responses from pro's very pleased to know it.

o

Nandina, I have not tried heel cuttings but surely will as well as your toothpick technique. Thanks so much for the suggestions. I really appreciate the help.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here