Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
angelbuck

Question about Golden Pothos / Devils Ivy clippings

angelbuck
18 years ago

A few months ago I reveived a Golden Pothos as a gift. I took clippings from it and placed them in a glass of water. The roots are now well formed and I'm ready to pot them in soil. I was wondering how many clippings should you pot together to eventually form a new full plant? Can you plant three clippings together and have them eventually grow full? Or do you need to plant several together? I am new to this plant, so I really don't know it's growing habits yet. Any information will be greatly appreciated. I have searched the web and have found everything else I need to know about propagating devils ivy except for this, they don't tell you how many clippings you need to plant together. Thank you in advance for all your help.

Comments (8)

• best_botanist
    18 years ago

if you rooted the plant in water, with pathos, they sometimes go into shock when planted from water to soil, try to put them in soil when the rootes are a little lest than an inch, that will reduce the occurance of shock, but back to your question, kind of lay them in a criss-cross patten in the soil and they will grow and fill out the pot. hope they take well.
    - Robert

• keilamarie
    18 years ago

Hi,

I'm rather new at cuttings but I took a cutting from my Golden Pothos, kept it in water for about a week and just stuck it in soil, it's growing like a weed. I have loads more to do too since one of my plants is about 8 feet long, lol.

Keilamarie

• angelbuck
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thank you so much for your tips. I did plant my clippings, about a week ago, they have been doing well so far. They look healthy and don't look like they are going into shock or anything. I did keep them in water for about a month and a half, so I was worried when I read what Robert wrote me. I guess I was just lucky so far. I do have more clippings in water at this time, they have been in there for about a week, but I don't see any roots coming out yet. Someone else said that you don't even need to put them in water, that you can just plant them in the soil and they will root on their own and start to grow, so I guess I can go ahead and plant them. We'll see what happens. Thanks again, Angel.

• apermann
    18 years ago

Yes you can just stick them in wet soil and they will root right up as long as your cuttings are not too big. You can also try a rooting hormone dip before sticking them in the soil (Hormex #1 works well). This will speed up root formation with less chance of failure. I continually take clippings to help fill out pots and the tip pruning of the original plants helps encourage branching creating a bushier fuller plant.

• bhuplidesai_hotmail_com
    17 years ago

hi

i have tried to grow golden pothos 3 times but they die soon. can anyone help me out. how much water is needed and how often. its a small potted plant from walmart.there is no direct sunlight, it is placed in a corner away from direct sunlight. there is a small indoor water fountain next to it. is that affecting the plant? quite confused how to keep it healthy. pls suggest soon.

thanx

• bossjim1
    17 years ago

This pothos cutting was rooted in the ground right where it is, and is now 3 years old.

{{gwi:1169080}}

• tweetson1998
    12 years ago

Hello angelbuck from z9 LA,

I have a pothos that I've had for over 13 years. I hang it outside in the spring and summer then bring it back inside in late summer or fall. I have repotted it and trimmed the roots twice. When I hang it back outside in about mid spring I cut it back to about two inches from the soil when it starts to grow again. It was a gift given to me when my son was born. I have taken many cuttings and started them in dirt. I have started as many as 6 and up to 12 cuttings in a ten inch pot. I have heard of people starting up to 20 cuttings at a time. I have some growing under fluorescent lights inside as well. I feed all of them about a half cup or more of worm castings about every two months. The more plants that are in a pot the more you have to feed them and the sooner they will outgrow their pot. Let the soil almost completely dry out and then soak the soil very well if they grow outside. If they are inside, then let them dry about half way and then water just until a little water drains out of the bottom.

Happy pothos growing!
    Buddy

• saj123
    10 years ago

Hi...
    I have got golden pothos plant as gift 2 days brfore...i placed it in water..Can pothos grow in water (that was in soil before)...now it showing no changes at all...and please suggest me to go ahead..should i have to root in soil itself??

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County