Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wpetestraw

Aglaonema - Queen of Siam

wpetestraw
11 years ago

Hello! I am an aspiring plant enthusiast. I donâÂÂt have much of an idea of what IâÂÂm doing, but IâÂÂm learning and thatâÂÂs what brings me here.

I currently only have one plant. ItâÂÂs a beautiful Aglaonema with cream stalks and large leaves (about 12-16 inches in length). The plant was a little sickly when I first got it, but beautiful nonetheless. It only had maybe 5 or 6 leaves total and those were all growing toward the top of the stalk, which was about 20 inches tall and about 2 inches wide at the base. I repotted the plant in a larger pot (14-in, I think), but those leaves have since died or fallen off, I'm sure due to either the shock from repotting, or because I have no clue what IâÂÂm doing (probably the latter).

Now, IâÂÂm just left with a 20-inch stalk. I corrected its watering regiment and moved the plant out of direct sunlight a few months ago and the plant has since started suckering rather quickly, but I take it I should remove them so they donâÂÂt discourage any growth from the main stalk.

I want to see growth from the base of the stalk again, but I am unsure if this will happen because of previous care. There is some growth pushing out of the stalk in random places, but IâÂÂve waited for close to 6 months now and it looks exactly the same as it did when the last remaining leaf broke and fell off. I honestly would like to cut this stalk closer to the soil and start over again, but IâÂÂm unsure of what to do, how to do it, or if itâÂÂs even a good idea. Besides a few sprouting suckers, I havenâÂÂt noticed a single bit of growth in that 6-month period.

I just want to see this beautiful plant thrive again! Any comments or suggestions are much appreciated! Thanks! :)

Comments (9)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

its really hard w/o a picture..

but if you have fresh vigorous growth from the bottom..

OFF WITH ITS HEAD ....

most plants with stalks.. simply continue from top.. so if you think its going to put out new leaves on the stalk ...... i would doubt it.. though i have no experience with this plant ...

its sort of like trying to rejuvenate grandpa.. when you have a bunch of young studs down near the bottom.. its just not going to work out ..

so cut it off.. an inch or two from the medium..

and then the real question is.. will that part root ... and become studly itself..

i will leave that question to others.. or google. ..

picture???

ken

• wpetestraw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the reply! This is the most recent picture I took. Sorry for the lighting. I will take some more photos tonight when I get home with better lighting and hopefully of something useful. You can see the newest sucker leafing out. The thing sprung up in about three weeks time. The second leaf has already opened fully and has started pushing up.

Also, I want to remember reading somewhere that when rooting an Aglaonema stalk, it's best to grab the stalk and snap it because it breaks off in nice little sections. I maybe even use the stalk to root a few 4-inch sections of the plant, but I have no idea whether I should root them in water or a peet mixture of some sort.

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

Try cutting some of the stalks and leaving the "studs". Let stalks callus for a day or so and replant in a separate pot-out of the sun. Ags like low to bright Indirect light.
    "Grandpa" will come roaring back:)
    Let dry slightly between watering; about once a week or so.
    The pot and soil should allow for adequate drainage. The soil should never be too wet.
    Ags do not like "wet feet".
    Fertilize monthly with a dilute liquid fertilizer after cuttings show clear signs of active growth.

• wpetestraw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks! :)

I will refresh this thread with posted progress. And my lingo isn't up to par here. What are "studs?" Are they the suckers or the cuttings of the stalk?

• Leafhead
    11 years ago

The "studs" are the suckers. They will grow into new plants in time.

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    11 years ago

come on.. keep up.. grandpa and the studs ... lol

she had me going too.. lol ..

she said leave them to callous.. that means cut into 4 inch sections.. and leave them to dry for a few days ... if you dont.. they will rot ..

since yours is recently repotted.. i would cut.. not snap.. or you will snap it right out of the pot ...

ken

• wpetestraw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I was sure that's what they meant :) I didn't want to assume anything. I'm green, just not my thumbs quite yet, heh

I'll probably make the cuts this weekend. I'm thinking half the stalk will yeild about 3 four-inch cuttings. More photos to come. Stay tuned!

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

This is a pot of propagated stem sections. If your plant is supposed to be variegated, it may need brighter light, although only the back of a new leaf is visible.

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I recently removed the growth tip (but not all of the leaves) from this stem and it is responding with swelling at a lot of nodes. It's hard to say which will actually grow as side branches. The taller the stump is that you leave, the more likely it is to grow more than one new top.

Sponsored