Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
need help rooting quince

Posted by buckeye OH5 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 07 at 13:14

Does anyone have experience or suggestions on rooting quince cuttings? I've started some from a quince tree/bush, putting the 6"+ cuttings from the ends of branches that have green in them and slicing a 1" shallow cut on the ends, then applying rooting hormone, & then placing them in potting soil(which i don't like that well, but is better than miracle grow-contaminated my whole seed inventory with little white bugs-horrible soil, belongs outside only)-anyways, they haven't rooted yet but are budding out, good sign? Got more to do, putting cuttings in water because there are so many of them...is the new 'gel' rooting medium you can order great to use? thanks for any help-new at rooting.....mark

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: need help rooting quince

Need to apply 0.3& IBA (Rooting hormone)not rootone.... stick in well drained soil & mist taking 25-60 days to root.
I stick to basic methods & material because they are time tested

o

I took cuttings in early summer, dusted them with rooting hormone and stuck them in peat pellets which I had hyrdated by soaking in warm water. Put the peat pellet with cutting in a zip lock bag to keep it moist and set them in a warm shady spot. I admit at this point, I totally ignored them for a while. But in three-four weeks, they had visible roots sticking out of the peat pellets, ready for potting.

Budding, I think, is a good sign. The cuttings are taking in moisture. I rooted rosemary cuttings using method above and they actually bloomed just before I saw evidence of roots. Bit I am no expert.

Flowering quince was one of my first successes at propagation. I hope it is for you also.

o

thanks for your help, mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here