Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
herp35

Rosemary Propagation

herp35
16 years ago

Can Rosemary be propagated via cuttings? If so, how can I do this?

Comments (9)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

take cuttings 2-3 inches long... remove foliage from bottom half. apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist. bottom heat helps.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

I don't know what I'm doing wrong, but all of my rosemary cuttings have turned black.

• fountaam
    15 years ago

I have better results using wet florist's foam, and not tenting with rosemary. Rooting in soil tends to end in rot for me.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

I don't have florist's foam but I do have a chamber with 100% perlite as the medium.. I'm trying some in there now. I think I'll pull one out of the chamber and try no tenting too and pick up some florist's foam the next time I'm out.

With florist's foam though.. how do you get the rooted plant out without breaking off all of the roots?

• ccroulet
    15 years ago

At Rancho Santa Ana Botanic Garden, they use plain perlite for rooting cuttings. I remove plants from the perlite/vermiculite medium that I've been using by digging them out with cheap plastic spoons.

• trianglejohn
    15 years ago

I root both Rosemary and Lavendar by taking cuttings in the fall and letting them sit outside over the winter. By spring most of them have rooted.

I use large deep aluminum foil pans (the kind used by caterers, 2 feet long, 1 foot wide and 4+inches deep).

I fill with sterile potting mix if I have it, otherwise I'll use sandy garden soil for these guys.

I take big cuttings, over 10 inches long. I look for branches that when cut could easily be shaped into a small tree. The woody stems root better for me than the tips.

I pack them in, like one stem every 4 inches, I arrange them so that they support each other while in the tray and try not to ever bump the tray or move it (roots are fragile).

I water them maybe every month, but mother nature usually takes care of it for me.

By March or April it is pretty obvious who's rooted in and who hasn't.

I take a lot of cuttings in case something goes wrong, I can always find homes for the extras. I give them NO CARE all winter long (my kind of plants).

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Rosemary is one of the easiest of plants to root from cuttings. If your cuttings turn black you are probably too wet, thats the reason for using perlite as the medium. More oxygen and less water. Any well drained mix will do, keep the air humid enough to prevent wilting until roots grow. Al

• gnomey
    15 years ago

The ones I have in 100% perlite now haven't turned black yet, so hopefully I've solved the problem of keeping them too wet.

• gnomey
    15 years ago

Interestingly enough.. I haven't checked my cuttings that I put in the perlite yet, but 1 of 3 cuttings I took about a week and a half ago and stuck in water with some willow cuttings until I could get another propagation chamber set up has tons of roots. I was shocked and surprised at how many roots there are and how fast they came out. I noticed it when I was changing the water a couple of days ago and couldn't believe it. It will get potted up later tonight with fingers crossed.

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer