Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
krazyaroider

Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate' propagation

krazyaroider
16 years ago

How is this particular tree propagated?

I would like to hear from both professional and amateur growers on this one.

I know the regular species is a "weed" in the southern states and I have grown some from seed from 2 mature trees that are in the Buffalo, NY area.

Thanks in advance,

Gerry

Comments (18)

• georgez5il
    16 years ago

1. From seed but process is complicated & requires soaking seed in acid, soaking in water then cool treatment
    2. Cuttings taken June/July. use cuttings of firm new growth. apply 0.8% IBA rooting hormone, stick in well drained soil & mist taking 20-40 days to root.

• redneck_grower
    15 years ago

Just found this post.

1) From seed, as mentioned, though seedlings may not breed true for selected varieties.

2) Root cuttings in late winter.

3) Transplant suckers.

• richardcol4
    15 years ago

Hi
    I Think the summer chocolate Albizzia is usually grafted on to seedling stock of the main albizzia as are a few of the select varieties. cuttings should work too but grafting will give more plants for less material

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

Hello,
    The English language is a little bit difficult for me.
    Albizia julibrissin summer chocolate reproduces from a seed, but his foliage will be green.
    From a cutting worthy to make an attempt, but heavy.
    I buy it always the mikro multiplied seedling.
    Very beautiful tree. Develops more slowly, than the one with a green letter. The claim of the nutrient is big.
    He looks more nicely on a grassy area.
    I rear a lot, I imply something.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=166814716684855&set=a.102596549773339.5829.100000689825243#!/album.php?aid=5498&id=10

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

Picture:

Here is a link that might be useful: Albizia Picture:

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Facts:

1. Albizia julibrissin 'Summer Chocolate' does NOT come true from seed. You can plant the seed and get Albizia julibrissin, but it will NOT be 'Summer Chocolate'. It may even be similar to 'Summer Chocolate' in many ways, but it still will not be 'Summer Chocolate'.

2. It is not legal to vegetatively propagate 'Summer Chocolate'. This plant is patented (PP13822). You are welcome to grow the seeds and see what you get, but you cannot legally vegetatively propagate the plant, for any reason at all, without permission from the patent holder.

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

brandon7 ,
    I do not multiply them.
    I buy the seedlings (Andre Brian), and I raise them longer.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

julibrissin,

This thread is about propagation. It's not illegal to grow them (just illegal to propagate them without permission).

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

P.S.

BTW, Julibrissin, your links don't work. It may be only a temporary problem, but when I tried the first link, it said "The content is currently unavailable". The second link requires one to set up an account and log in just to see your pictures. You should check out one of the picture hosting sites like Photobucket or Flickr.

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

brandon7

I would not like to propagate it.
    I would like to delete the link then, to delete.
    I ask help to it.
    Thank you very much.

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

brandon7

I would not like to propagate it.
    I would like to delete the link then, to delete.
    I ask help to it.
    Thank you very much.

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

brandon7

I would like to ask his deletion because I do not know it.
    Thank you.

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Julibrissin,

Unfortunately, there is no way to delete a post on Gardenweb. Many members have requested that feature, but Gardenweb has never made it possible.

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

Albizia picture.

Here is a link that might be useful: Albizia Picture:

• brandon7 TN_zone7
    13 years ago

Cool pics, Julibrissin. I've passed by this cultivar many times in gardens and never paid all that much attention to it. I don't know that I've ever seen one with seed pods on it, until I saw your pics.

• fredt7
    13 years ago

About three years ago I collected seeds from a 'Summer Chocolate' mimosa. They germinated readily with no pretreatment. About five out of one hundred seedlings had the burgundy color. I kept one and gave the others away. The same year I bought a grafted tree of 'Summer Chocolate'. At this point, the seedling is a much larger tree than the grafted tree, with better color, but this might be due to the seedling getting more sun.

• julibrissin
    13 years ago

fredt7 ,
    These are multiplied (micropropagation)
    Unfortunately from a seed his foliage will not be so dark sowing.
    This is not the original kind already.
    From a seed was like this sowing at me:

Here is a link that might be useful: Albizia j. s.c. seedling