Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rooting week old rosemary cuttings

Posted by farmerkevin USDA 9 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 5, 14 at 15:00

A friend of a friend is moving and giving away a lot of plants. She gave a huge rosemary plant to a friend. My other friend took cuttings and forgot about them for about a week before he remembered them. Tey are kind of wilted, droopy but not totally dried out.

I have iba rooting hormone, and some well draining medium that was used with some aloe that got transplanted so I have some of that left over. It's not cactus/succulent mix, but it is very very light and fluffy.

How do I root this rosemary? Should I soak some cuttings in water,say overnight, then dip in rooting hormone, then stick in the medium? Safe to do so now? Should I root in water?

I want to try and grow this plant. It smelled awesome in the ladies yard, and can't it be used as a spice?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rooting week old rosemary cuttings

Rosemary can not only be used as a herb, that is the main reason for growing it imo. It roots easily, even from week old pieces. Just push the pieces (about 3 - 6 inches long) into well draining medium in a pot). Make sure they don't dry out. Keep them warm at the base. And wait.

o

I've rooted rosemary in water, and my mom did it in regular soil from the yard (without hormone). So I'd say it's a great candidate in just about any combination of methods you want to try.

With the water, I used a transparent cup and it took about 1 month to see root growth, but once that root shows up, it grows very fast.

o

Keep the humidity high by tenting your floppy cuttings, they should perk up in a day or two. Follow floral_uk suggestions. Al

o

A useful tip I've picked up over the years is to cover the cutting with a transparent or translucent soft drink cup, either when pushing the cutting into the compost or after transplanting. This ensures the humidity stays up. Good luck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here