Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water roots to Soil, Semi Rot

Posted by deer145 none (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 6, 13 at 15:58

Hi, I am new to this forum and pretty new to home gardening.

i received an umbrella tree cutting rooted in water from my mom's big plant. i'm not sure how long she had it in water but the roots seem very developed.

i think i overwatered it and the roots began to smell and the plant to droop.

i immediately rinsed the roots and put only a small amount of water at the bottom.

the question: I want to repot it in soil so i can grow it big and strong. what is the best way to do this since the water roots are already very developed and it had a semi-rot? i bought a bag of perlite and i have some potting soil. should i use a big pot or should i root bound it in a smaller one at first?

i really want to repot this asap because it's not doing well. :( thanks in advance for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water roots to Soil, Semi Rot

here's the plant, it's in a small flower vase.

o

here's the water roots. i watered it all the way up to the highest roots and i think i started to rot the stem and upper roots

o

roots

o

that is way to big a piece to be rooting.. IMHO ...

you might want to find a good end .. and root a 4 to 6 inch piece.. and as soon as you see roots forming.. pot them into damp media.. and tent it in a plastic bag for a week or two ... [or course.. with those large leaves.. the baggie thing might be hard ...] ..

i wonder if you could cut off the leaves.. and leave the stems ... which i have done on other things .... it reduces the stress of trying to save the leaf.. while leaving the stem for photosynthesis .... its done on hosta commonly ...

that curtain makes it look like you took it to a portrait studio.. its cracking me up ... lol

ken

o

The roots that form in water are ill equipped to absorb water and oxygen from the soil. This is the main reason why it is encouraged that plants be rooted in a medium of some sort so that they develop a root system designed for that environment. Water roots are designed to access dissolved oxygen from the water.

Cuttings often struggle in the transition from water to potting mix, sand, perlite, etc. The larger the cutting, the smaller the chances for success.

o

and to clarify what i was TRYING TO SAY .. lol ...

even if those LITTLE bit of roots did acclimate quickly to soil.. there is NOT enough roots there.. for that giant cutting ...

and that is the root of the problem.. <<<== see what i did there ... its a pun... lol

ken

o

lol, ok, i understand. there is a top part thats about 6 inches that i can cut.

do you have any suggestions on how to do that? i've never propgated before. i'll research a bit, but should i buy a root exelcuator? and should i just cut the stem anywhere?

thank you so much for your help.

o

a WHAT???

sounds like something a surgical nurse would hand to a surgeon..

use a new razor blade .. or a sharp knife.. just dont squish it all up with kids scissors ... lol ..

review the link.. and see if there are any other questions we can answer for you ...

ken

Here is a link that might be useful: link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here