Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thestupidgardenguy

fruit tree cuttings

thestupidgardenguy
17 years ago

Yesterday I pruned my small fruit trees. My question to everyone is can and how to if possible root or grow the scions. I know that they can be grafted, can they also be rooted?

Thanks,

Dean

Comments (8)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

if they could... why would anyone invest in the overhead to graft them ....

that said... just about anything is possible .... and it wouldnt surprise me that if you 'stuck' 100 of them ... and cared for them all summer .. possible until next spring.. you might not get one or two to root ...

if the percentages were very high ... they wouldnt bother with the grafting ....

good luck .. ken

• Patriz
    17 years ago

Hi Dean,
    I received dormant fruit cuttings from UCD back in February 2007. I placed the dormant cuttings in clear plastic cups with Promix BX. They were covered with clear oven baggies with a few vent holes, then placed closely under shoplights in my laundry room. The Promix was kept very wet and the cuttings were hand misted at least 2X daily. The cuttings have started to root and they are all leafed out, which includes sweet cherry, persimmon, almond, and apricot. You can see the roots because of the clear container. I also added drainage holes about 1 inch from the bottom of each cup to sort of act like a reservoir.
    I also have fig cuttings rooting in water under shoplights, with clear baggies over top of them. They have intial roots and are leafing out. These figs easily adapt to planting in Promix because they develop strong roots and not the thin water roots. I've rooted figs for years this way, but it's my first time rooting fruit cuttings. I figure..why not try it and see what happens! It seems they're all happy at the moment :)
    Trish

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    17 years ago

and.. there is a fruit forum ... and some of the fruit nuts, might have answers for you .. good luck

as noted.. what do you have to lose .. ken

• lucky_p
    17 years ago

dicentra's putting in a lot more effort than I would, but...different strokes, you know. And, if it works, hooray !
    For the most part, pruned cuttings from most conventional fruit trees are not going to root very readily - or at least not in very high % - like Ken said.
    I've had an occasional pear or apple shoot shoved in the garden soil root, but not many. Some varieties are noted for being easier than others to root from cuttings. I've had a few cuttings of 'Guthrie' plum root in fairly high percentages, but it's noted for being easy to root.

Figs? Easy, easy, easy.

• marknmt
    17 years ago

I think pears are known for being difficult. I've failed at it. Earlier discussions have had some very useful information.

A neighbor moved here years ago with branches he cut off of apricot and plum trees. Just stuck them in the ground, and they've been bearing for years- I would have to say over thirty years!

Good luck,

Mark

• katdare
    10 years ago

Can anyone please tell me where I can buy fruit tree cuttings ? Plreply on
    katdare@gmail.com

• Bradybb WA-Zone8
    10 years ago

katdare,
    I sent an email. Brady

• clarkinks
    10 years ago

You will need a 5 gallon bucket of sand, bottle of clonex rooting hormone, old jars, lots of pots. I fill a pot with sand and poke a pencil in it and make a hole, dip the cutting in rooting hormone and stick it in the damp sand.. Push the sand in around the cutting. Stick the jar over the cutting in the sand to control humidity. When you have all the pots filled and covered lay a grow light on top of the jars. Typically within a couple of months you will have so many trees you wont know what to do with them. I prefer taking my cuttings from new growth in the spring and not dormant cuttings when I use this method. leave top two leaves on the cutting. This works for cherries etc.. The sand allows roots to develop quickly.

Here is a link that might be useful: propagation methods

This post was edited by ClarkinKS on Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 2:13