Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sweetflowers

Re:Save my gardenia please

sweetflowers
17 years ago

Hi everyone,

I bought a beautiful small gardenia plant last summer. It had few buds when I bought it. Some of them flowered and some just turned yellow.May be because of shock. Late in summer the plant grew luscious and set lots of buds. We live in the NW so around late fall I brought the plant inside. It was still doing well. It didn't seem to go through any shock. Instead the buds were becoming larger. However, my DH who is not a gardening person suggested that the plants seem to stop growing. Thinking it wasn't getting enough water, I put a dish under the pot and waterred it geneously. Little did I realize that I literally made the plant sit in a puddle of water for few days.The plant rapidly dropped off leaves, remaining leaves started turining yellow, all buds were dropped and the stems that were left started turning black on the tips and there was white powdery stuff on them.

Right now I have removed the dish from below the pot and shifted it to a south facing window. However, it is still winter here and we barely get sun for 2-3 days for few hours at a stretch.

Please tell me what I can do to save this plant. BTW there are 4 seperate stems in the pot. May be they have been rooted form cuttings. Each stem is about a foot tall. Thank you for all your suggestions and help.

Sangeeta

Comments (3)