Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hydrofarm Seedling Heat Mats - Attention!

Posted by warlock (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 13, 07 at 17:12

Just a request for a caution. My first heat mat's thermostat failed to keep the temperature within the 85F limit. It also developed a single, hot to the touch, buldge on it's surface. Second mat, a replacement, although kept my tomato plants from cooking, developed the same nasty "melt down" buldge on the top surface and burned through the bottom, scorching the wood floor underneath. I notified the Hydrofarm company regarding this potential fire hazard problem but so far there has been no response. Beaware!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hydrofarm Seedling Heat Mats - Attention!

• Posted by ara133 central PA (My Page) on
    Thu, Mar 15, 07 at 13:49

Did you get your replacement mat from Hydrofarm? I had a problem with my original not heating up anymore, so I called Hydrofarm because I couldn't remember where I'd gotten the mat from. They sent me a replacement directly, and did say that they had been having some problems and were currently doing a recall. If you haven't tried calling them, it might be worth a shot.

o
RE: Hydrofarm Seedling Heat Mats - Attention!

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your inquiry about our seedling heat mat products. We have sold hundreds of thousands of these heat mats to satisfied customers over the past few years and the overall return rate is a fraction of a percent.

They are the only heat mats in their class that are made in North America and that are tested and listed by Underwriters Laboratories. All of the others have not been tested, and most will not pass due to substandard wiring, materials, or inability to pass the electrical testing.

As with any electrical appliance, there can be issue which may occur as a result of something in the manufacturing process or in handling by the customer in the field. One such problem is when the wire gets kinked due to very rough handling, or by puncture of the layers of inner materials and hitting the wire inside. If this occurs, a small bubble may show where the inner wire heats up, breaks, and the mat will stop working. For any of these, our retailers are instructed to immediately replace the product, and return the unit to us for testing, and review.

There is no recall on these products, and as stated above, it remains the best in its class, and one of the best selling products featured in many stores and gardening catalogs across the country.

Regards,

Peter Wardenburg

Vice President

Hydrofarm, Inc.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here