Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardening off help

Posted by jhook1997 7 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 17:15

Here in zone 7 our weather is very unpredictable during the time when I need to be hardening off my "cold crops". I have cauliflower, Brussel sprouts and cabbage that I started several weeks ago. All are getting to the point of having several leaves but are still pretty wimpy. I started taking them out last week to harden off but only got to do it two days. It is now WINDY and too cold for that! I have a cold frame built and sort of a glass tunnel made from windows that I use when hardening and what I'm wondering is.....at what point/temp. can I just leave them outside in those? I can obviously protect them from the wind but what temp. can the cabbage and cauli withstand?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardening off help

Sorry, new to the Forum....probably should have put this in "seed starting"

o

ah.. whatever.. on where you posted ....

though the plant itself might take the cold.. in the pots.. i would worry about the pot freezing.. or the roots getting too cold ...

*** what i was trying to say.. rather inarticulately.. is that you can not presume a mature plants hardiness.. on a tiny seedling ... and that is what the 'hardening off' process is all about.. on some level ...

ken

This post was edited by ken_adrian on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 8:09

o

I set seedlings outside for the sake of sun, wind and rain during the daytime and into the evening.
If I'm concerned about the overnite conditions I bring them in before bedtime, or otherwise shelter them.
Cole crops in our area can get very close to freezing before I get concerned. It is a good caution about pots as stated, especially as the temps go down toward freezing. :)

o

I see you are in zone 7 same as me. My cold crops have been out about 3 weeks now. About ready for tomatoes to go out. They have been outside about a week now but had to roll them into garage a few times at night.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here