Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best cutting propagation media?

Posted by mendocinomaples NW CA (rjamgoch@mcn.org) on
Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 17:59

If you were to make up the "best all purpose media" for cuttings what would it be? Is it possible or does it depend on too many factors such as what type of plant you are trying to propagate and the conditions under which you are placing the cuttings, time of the year and other factors.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best cutting propagation media?

• Posted by Soeur z6b TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 28, 05 at 18:59

I vary what I mix up according to what I'm sticking. If I was forced to only make one mix for everything, however, I'd go with screened peat/perlite 1:1 by volume.

Soeur

o

I agree with Soeur. I use a 50/50 mix of peat & perlite and so far, so good.

o

For cuttings I prefer 80% perlite to 20% peat. Al

o

Guess I am not a perlite fan. I prefer a good bedding style potting soil (not so fine...drains better) and coconut coir mix. For my dormant cuttings, this winter, I added nearly half organic composted cotton burrs. We often have a very wet winter and I wanted as much drainage as I could get because I sunk the pots to the rim in my veggie garden.

I'm not sure there is a "best"....just what ever works for the type of plant, season, style of propagation, etc. I use plain old screened river sand for mist propagation. Screen out the largest stones as well as the fine stuff...I want air in the mix. Also have one container of chicken grit.

I am still convinced that most cuttings are lost due to too much water, warmth, and perhaps being kept too "close"....a recipe for disease.

o

my best luck is 50:50 coarse sand & peat

o

50:50 perlite/vermiculite

o

50:50 peat/perilite mixture works best for me, too.
Mike

o

50/50 peat and coarse sand with moisture crystals.

o

I use garden soil (horrors!) and moisture crystals. Of course, the cuttings are in the garden, not in the house or garage. I also pour some willow water around them a couple times over several months just to get the roots jump started. This is best for hardwood or semi-hardwood cuttings, but I've found it works well for middle of the summer softwood cuttings that also get a nice little shade tent over them for a week or so.

For delicate cuttings indoors, I use coir 75% and perlite 25% with moisture crystals, or peat moss if I've run out of coir. I don't particularly like the white perlite and wish they would dye it (organically of course) brown or gray or black or come up with something that doesn't look quite so "man-made". I have not had success with peat/vermiculite mixture but at least it is gray/silver. I think the soil is too loose. When I transplant the babies outside they have to struggle in the sand/clay jumbled soil of mine. But for delicates indoors, I may give the perlite/vermiculite mix a try like Brenda_on_the_Eno uses.

o

Newbie here :-) About how long can I expect until the roots are plenty, or ready for planting?

o

Where do you buy perlite? I bought a 2 cubic foot bag for about $14. Is that a good price?

o

CLacy2k, too many variables to answer that one. It varies from one plant to another as well as within the same plant family. Time of year, temp., health of cutting, etc., etc. Tell us what you would like to start out with. Or ask what would be an easy first plant and you will get lots of opinions, but make it a new post, so the answers will come to you, OK? There is nothing wrong with being a newbie... or asking questions...only way to learn and we all did it at one time or another, and still do. Millie

o

• Posted by Toyon Sunset 8/14 CA. (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 12:30

Most of the large hardware stores carry 4cu ft bags of perlite for about $10-12. Try Home Depot if you have one there. The better nurseries carry them here as well.

I don't think the mix/medium is as important at air and drainage. I use about 75% perlite in the colder months because I have a problem with peat moss getting waterlogged. In the summer I swap it the other way to about 66% peat moss/33% perlite.

CLacy2k: The legnth of time varies by species, light and temperature. Some Cupheas (Cigar Plant, etc) strike root in about 2-3 days during the summer. Salvias, usually within 5-7 days. Double the time in the winter. Others like Mahonia are easy to root, but take 15-30 days.

o

• Posted by Tom_w Z7 - Ala (My Page) on
    Sat, Jun 11, 05 at 16:14

I am currently sticking Chinese Snowball, Loropetilum, Oak leaf hydrangea and Azalea. The mix is 1/3 peat, 1/3 Perlite, and 1/3 fine pine bark. The cuttings are in 1" cell packs under mist. With a mist system the mix needs to drain really well. For transplanting, the peat gives a little structure so the media doesn't fall off the roots. When I transplant into larger pots, the plants never realize they have been moved.
The Oak Leaf Hydrangea will be ready to transplant and come out of mist in 3-4 weeks, the Snowballs will stay in for up to 3-4 months. They all stay in there until I can see roots thru the drain holes.

o

• Posted by wmc1 s/w Ontario (My Page) on
    Thu, Jun 16, 05 at 22:18

I just use root cubes, rockwool or oaSIS. Great success.

o

50/50 perlite/vermiculite, and I do smaller cuttings (perennials and half-hardies)in a closed container. It doesn't work well in summer (too warm), but under lights in the winter, with the medium barely moistened, I have very high success rates. Preferred containers? Clear plastic cylinders from almost-gourmet cookies, with a few drain holes poked in the bottom just in case.

o

Sand. Just plain sand, kept evenly moist. I learned this from a horticulture teacher who had us root everything in long sand beds in a greenhouse. It's the only way I've been able to propogate pelargoniums, and I've done some beauties this year.

o

Yep, constantly moist sand works best for me.

o

Have any of you people tried finely shredded styrofoam. I chop some in a blender and mix with an equal part of milled peat moss. It seems to work just a bit better than perlite and is certainly much less expensive. As a bonus it, it seems to be somewhat fungicidal...or perhaps I am overly optimistic!

o

Depending on the plant in question, I've had very good luck with sphagnum moss - the long fiber kind. It worked beautifully with boxwood cuttings.

o

I have great success with coarse sand and perlite equally mixed. Trina

o

Has anyone tried 100 percent perlite mediums before?

o

I personally do not care for peat moss because it hardens. I Just place my cutting in water for 24 hours, dip them in a rooting powder, and plant them in a 50-50 compost and garden soil. My success is running about 75 to 80%. I normally get cuttings from trees which are suitable for bonsai. I have learned that I have a better chance of success when I plant cuttings just prior to springs.

o

Hi guys. I have a 10" pot of potting mix on my sun porch. I took some leaves off my New Guniea Impatients. The stems are almost an inch long. Stuck them in hormone root.
Now how many leaves do I, need to put around this pot?

I have hanging baskets of geraniums on my carport. How can I make more geraniums for new pots? Also how can I force more blooms on the hanging baskets?

o

Here what I use in equal quantity. Perlite, Vermiculite, peat moss, sand and soil mixed with Cow manure. But first I make small cuts in the lower part of the cutting wash it with house hold detergent and dip it in rooting hormone. I don't grow every plant from cuttings only Figs, Roses and Jasmine. I have a healthy group of these guys. I have a friend who told me that he had good success by spraying the cuttings with Lysol to protect against bacteria. I have not tried that.

o

This year I changed my mix, and so far I am happy with it. I am using about 40% Turface, 40% ground fir bark and about 20% granite fines. It is dense enough to provide good support for the cuttings, retains enough moisture, and remains loose enough to separate rooted cuttings without root damage. Al

o

• Posted by jolj 7b/8a-S.C.,USA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 25, 11 at 23:43

Pure sand in trays, keep moist & root 75% most of the time/100% of some flowering shrubs. Using roottone on somethings. The only thing I have not rooted, that I tried to root is dogwood tree. You can get 80% color from seeds anyways.

o

I use half Sunshine Professional mix #1 and half perlite. A bale costs about $25 here, with a 20 lb bag of perlite costing about $15 from stores that sell agricultural products. I do a lot of propagating and this lasts me for a season.

o

I see some use sand. What type of sand? I have used a lot of different methods but have never used sand. Please tell me the type of sand and where I can get some. Thanks.

o

• Posted by simcan z5b/Toronto (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 15, 11 at 9:25

Well, if these answers prove anything, it is that there is no single best medium, or at least no agreement about it. I use a coarse sand mixed roughly equally with either coir or peat or bagged seeding soiless mix, either with or without some vermiculite. Works fine.

I also bag it in microwaveable bags and zap it for a few minutes in the microwave prior to using it everytime. I am convinced this extra sterilization helps as I never have problems with fungus, etc.

o

• Posted by jbclem z9b Topanga Ca (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 28, 11 at 6:23

What about using pumice instead of perlite in one of these mixes. I get pumice from a farm/horse supply, it's packaged as Dry Sweep, used in horse stalls on the floor to absorb moisture. It costs about $10 for a 40 lb bag, which looks like about one cubic foot.

John

o

wet Sphagnum Moss. My grand Mom successfully used water

o

Great forum and wonderful propagation tips. I wonder if climate plays an important part in success of propagation? I would think a warmer climate might be a good asset; like Calif. I have never seen more beautiful roses grown in my life as I saw at Edwards AFB in Calif. Everybody housetrailer had a lot of rosebushes and all were hugh bushes or climbers. Size of the flower was so big. Different then any I've seen on the east coast of the USA.

o

I prefer 40/60 peat to vermiculite.

o

• Posted by four 9B (near 9a) (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 2, 14 at 19:21

> Posted by madrone
> 20 lb bag of perlite

Isn't that bigger than a dump truck?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here