Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting tomatoes

Posted by trainbrainmike 7 (mljl1743@aol.com) on
Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 18:07

I read in a Burpee catalog where they are using hybrid root stock and grafting heirloom varieties to it, supposedly giving the disease resistance of the modern hybris to the heirloom.

Has anyone ever heard of grafting tomatoe plants ?? How is it done ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting tomatoes

It's becoming pretty common actually. I don't know of anyone that is doing it themselves (although I'm sure many probably do), but lots of gardeners are buying grafted plants these days. Many of the garden plant suppliers and seed companies (that also offer plants) have these in their catalogs now.

I don't remember which tomato cultivar is used mostly for this, but it's one with quite a bit of vigor and not as well liked for it's fruit. In other words, they use a cultivar known mostly for it's vigor and "toughness".

o
RE: grafting tomatoes...ps

Here is a link to what appears to be a pretty good explanation of method:

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington State University Extension Fact Sheet

o
RE: grafting tomatoes...pps

Looks like I should have googled to start with. Take a look at the resources on this page: WSU on Grafting Vegetables. Even detailed descriptions of rootstock cultivars is included.

The presentation linked below is full of good info.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Graft Tomatoes and Eggplant Presentation

o

Perhaps you could amuse yourself by grafting red and yellow onto the same root.

o

Has anyone had success with grafting heirlooms onto a rootstock like that? I know you cannot plant the tomato as deep, as the grafted part needs to stay above ground. I know someone around here tried it last year and it was unsuccessful but we had a drought so who knows. I went into our local greenhouse and asked the owner what tomato they had that would be a good candidate as a rootstock for grafting and he about had a fit. He said the companies are wanting them to buy these grafted tomatoes for $5 each and that it was a scam and another way for companies to muscle in these overpriced plants and try to force the greenhouses to carry them. I would be willing to graft myself if I thought it really worked. I personally think we should be reinvigorating heirlooms with new genes to promote genetic diversity, many folks are doing this. Of course you can no longer call it a heirloom...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here