Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cherry Laurel Rooting

Posted by stevevtn S. Mid. TN (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 18:09

Didn't know where else to post this, so here goes.

I planted about a dozen cherry laurel saplings bare root this winter. Needless to say they all lost their leaves went into some kind of dormancy.

Some are now showing some signs of life(swelling/new buds) some have not, but all are still green when I scratch the surface of the twig and supple when I try and bend them a little bit.

When I got these they were all tall and spindly so I buried them 3-4 inches deeper than they should have to reduce dessication and for improved support.

From research I have found that cherry laurel can supposedly be propagated by layering.

Will these saplings initiate root growth where they are in contact with the soil without action on my part?

Can I help them without digging them up?

Sorry for the long winded question and thank you for any input.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cherry Laurel Rooting

The new growth is from the water & suggars stored in the stem. This same energy will be needed to form roots.the chances of success are minimal. ]
I have had good luck using firm new growth taken June to mid Aug, apply o.5% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here