Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
growing Russian Willow [Salix acutifolia] from cuttings

Posted by paulandirene z7 NM (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 18:27

Hi,

My dad gave me some Russian Willow [Salix acutifolia] cuttings...a little thicker than a pencil and about 16 inches long.

What would be the best way to grow these from cuttings?

The willow is valuable to us for sentimental reasons. The original one was planted by my great-great grandfather in Montana over 120 years ago. [I save seen pre-1900 pictures of it]. Eight years ago, they cut it down, but my dad got cuttings and has a nice healthy plant in his yard.

Anyway, I got some cuttings from it about a month ago...dipped them in rooting hormone, and put them in a sand/vermiculite mixture. I lightly tugged on the stem, and it seems that it had rooted, but there is otherwise no signs of life. I would have liked to have put them outside, but it's still a week or so away from our frost-free date.

For these new cuttings, I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: growing Russian Willow [Salix acutifolia] from cuttings

Keep them inside have the buds started to swell? in any case should leaf out & grow. IF NoT THEN:

Can use cuttings of firm new growth or winter cuttings..... apply 0.1% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil. If has leaf mist if not keep soil damp .......

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here