Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Native trees

Posted by fruitman Zone 5 Kansas (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 18, 07 at 21:04

What native trees (of Kansas) can be cut right now and rooted outside in the soil with some success without much care except water and amended soil?

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Native trees

Willow. That's about it.

Red Mulberry and Osage Orange might work, but I've had almost no luck rooting cuttings of those just by sticking 'em in the ground, as you've described.
I've had mild success rooting cuttings of some of the native plums, just by sticking them in the ground.

o

I don't know about cutting the roots and sticking them in the ground. I don't think any tree accept the Tree of Heaven can be started that way, but the Tree of Heaven is an invasive species and should not be grown at all for any reason.
However, I know that Silver Maple, Elm, and Sycamore all transplant very well.

o

There is a very good book "Landscaping with Native Trees" by Guy Steinberg & Jim Wilson... ( I met Guy since he is local) use that to pick out the tree(s) then we can tell you the easest way to ppropagate

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 31, 10 at 0:57

BTW, using the proper medium to root cuttings is fine, but when planting your trees out, be sure to remove as much of the differing soil type as possible (some even suggest bare-rooting woody plants). Woody plants do best without amended soil.

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting a Tree or Shrub

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here