Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Jiffy-type pellets-- majorly confused

Posted by LCDSoundsyetem Chicago/5a (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 16, 11 at 22:22

So, I became kind of enamored of these pellets last year.
I set out to find refills . . . found an eBay seller selling 300 for $30 shipped. To my dismay when they arrived they were smaller than the ones I'd been using and don't fit in the trays.
It appears the ones I had were about 34mm diameter, these are 30 mm. Doesn't sound like much of a discrepancy but in practice they seem at least 1/3 smaller.

So two questions for anyone in the know:
1)Is there some way to know if what I'm looking at on the web is the size I want, or is it one big unstandardized mess? The occasional eBay seller gives the exact size but most commercial sites don't.

2)So here I am with 300 small pellets and no holders that fit them. Is there any downside to just cramming the tray full of them and having them sit on the bottom of the tray basically all touching each-other? I've actually already set up one tray like this but not seeded them-- it fits about 100.

Thanks! Will very likely have follow-up questions . . .

Follow-Up Postings:

o
Please delete-- sorry!!!

Ack! Sorry-- clicked on plants instead of seeds and posted this in the wrong place.
I've now posted this in the "from seed" forum so please don't respond here. Nods, I owe ya a beer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here