Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cherry rooting question/quandary

Posted by patraus (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 7, 11 at 22:24

Hey all,

I recently (about a month ago) took 30 cuttings from a cherry tree that had been knocked over in an ice storm, treated them with .55% IBA (the strongest I could find) and placed them in coir in a covered aquarium. I gave a few of them a light tug after a few weeks and found that they gave a fair amount of resistance, raising my hopes that they might actually be rooting! Also, some of the buds are showing green, one set of leaves grew, and a couple of them have flowered (though not extensively.)

I pulled a couple up today to check on their progress and found that, rather than roots, there seem to be some sort of hard, white, lumpy growths wherever the IBA came in contact with the cambium (where I removed the lower buds, at the base of the cutting, wherever I removed bark), and this was what was providing the resistance.

What's going on here? Is this some sort of fungus? Are these (crossing my fingers, though finding it doubtful) a prelude to actual roots? I haven't worked with auxin since high school bio, so I'd be happy to have any more experienced folks shed some light on what this is. I'll be keeping them around for a while to see what happens, but I'd like to know what to expect.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cherry rooting question/quandary

It sounds like a callus has formed & will need more time or a application of a high concentration of a auxin to get the roots to form.
the leaf & flower formation has been the result of the suggars stored in the stem.
I have not had good results from stem cuttings of the cherries therefore I use grafting to propagate this plant.

o
RE: cherry rooting question/quandary

So there's a possibility this callus will go on to form roots, or is it pretty unlikely without further treatment? I had read about the difficulty of rooting cherry cuttings, but figured it was worth a shot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here