Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Petunia Propogation Question

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Fri, Apr 6, 12 at 0:39

I got a basket of petunias today, the striped ones, purple and white, for $2.00 (marked down from $19.99)! It's still pretty but it a bit leggy.

I want to prune it so it can grow out again. Can I root the cuttings? I've never done this before, but it seems that they would root.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Petunia Propogation Question

Petunias are extremely easy to propagate and they root quickly! So, yes; you can! You can even propagate petunias from pieces of leaves.

Best of luck!
Gawdinfever

o

Wow, I didn't know that! Thanks for the info!

o

Your welcome! They are my favorite annual/filler, because I feel I get the most 'bang for my buck' on color, filler, and longest lasting blooms!

o

How do you propogate petunias from leaf pieces? I can't find any info. Thanks

o

I've never done this except with Begonias and African violets, but there's excellent info and diagrams here.

I've also had good luck with stem cuttings but bad luck with some kind of Petunia-killing disease in this yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plant Propagation article at NCSU

o

Thanks purpleinopp. The site was helpful. What I also don't understand is why only one out of the 30 or so petunia cuttings I planted didn't make it. I did everything I normally do. IT couldn't have been because of the TX heat since I planted them inside. Any thoughts from anyone?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here