Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oaney

Propogating Pothos

oaney
14 years ago

I took a cutting from my mothers pothos plant, because I know they are easy to grow. I used a rooting bulb, and got roots about 2 inches long, from the lowest node closest to the cutting. I planted the root into soil and there are leaves growing. All seems to be going well, but here is my question.

The cutting I took was from the tip of a vine, there were two leaves on my cutting. After planting the rooted cutting, there is about 3 inches between the surface of the soil and the first leaf, and then another 3 inches between the first and second leaf. I got a third leaf to grow, and as the third leaf was unfolding, a fourth leaf started growing, then a fifth. I now have 6 fully developed leaves, with a 7th on the way, but all of the leaves that grew after the cutting are less than a quarter inch apart, and the stem made a very violent turn upwards. There is alot of weight pulling on that stem and root, and the spaces between the nodes are extremely tiny. Is this normal?

I have been wondering if I should try to air layer the new leaf growth so that the stem grows straight up, and it doesnt hang over the edge of the pot and make such a sharp turn. I can take some pictures and post them online if Im not being clear.

1) Are such short distances between nodes normal for a cutting?

2) Should I air layer the very sharp Uturn? (The original 6 inches of vine makes a very lazy bend over the edge of the new pot. All the new leaf growth is happening within a quarter inch of eachother, and 4-5 leaves are growing out of a one inch segment, and that one inch segment is making a very tight curl or Uturn.)

3) I literally just learned that there is a difference between "water roots" and "soil roots" when trying to root pothos. Did I do it correctly?

I am a new plant keeper, and jumped headlong into it, I have about 9 pots of various plants, pothos, an onion that was sprouting in my cupboard, i found an old clump of roots which sprouted what i believe to be a sedum of some sort, habanero pepper seeds from a chili I made, and them something that is very similar to pothos but it has a different name (its a vine, i think its called photodendron?)

Comments (11)

• yiorges-z5il
    14 years ago

1) shorte internoday distance is normal if grown in good light with good water & fertilization. 2) growth pattern you described is normal for this plant if need to grow upright then need suport. 3) I use one eye cuttings (stem & 1 leaf) apply 0.1% IBA ( Rooting hormone)>>> not required but speeds up rooting process>>> stick in well drained soil & keep soil damp not wet. Thats my way but then I never root anything in water so.....

• petzold6596
    14 years ago

If you remove the terminal node, the plant will begin sending out lateral shoots/stem which will make the plant more bush like. You can do this with any of the lateral stems so you get a very short dense plant.

Because pothos is so easy to root I never waste my money on rooting hormones. I have taken a stem cutting with just a leaf laid horizontal in soil product a new plant. Easy, easy!!

• jake579
    11 years ago

Hi :) i rooted a clipping from a pothos, of whichthe parent plant grows like crazy, i got it to root and it has 5 or 6 sprouts for new leaves, i would just like to know if there is anything special i should or should not be doing?

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Hi Jake. Is it still in water? Care to share a pic?

• jake579
    11 years ago

Its in dirt now and there are a couple new leaves starting. I cannot send a picture I just want to make sure there isnt anything special i should be doing lol

11 years ago

New leaves should mean roots have formed and it's now growing as a "real plant." Sounds great! With proper light and watering, it should do well. In the spring, you might want to give it some weak fertilizer if you feel like it. Not a very picky or needy plant.

• jake579
    11 years ago

It is growing, very slowly...and the small leaf it did make is now black where it came out of the dirt and is yellowing. Some tips of the new sprouts turned black as well. Oops hahah??

11 years ago

Hey Jake, sorry to hear it's not going well. Hard to say what's going on without being able to see it. Too wet?

• jake579
    11 years ago

Im thinking so, i stoped watering it in hopes it will do better lol, im not to sure what to do now, should i try more sun? Maybe a warming pad of some sort? We keep the keat around 68 65 degrees in the winter...maybe the water and the chill is not so good? My other pothos...which was a clipping from 4 years ago does fine...doesnt grow much tho...i just got two new leaves this summer and that was it lol....both clipping are from different plant...the baby that isnt doin well however came from a pothos that grows like crazy...any advisement will help!!! I would love to post a pic but the site/phone will not allow it

11 years ago

Sorry, I know nothing about using pictures from phones on here without putting them on computer first.

If your other plant only grew 2 leaves this summer, then yes, the plants really could use more light if possible. There are many discussions about Pothos on the house plant forum also. Look also for the term Epipremnum, the botanical name, when searching for info. Occasionally heart-leaf Philodendron will be referred to as Pothos, but either appreciate the same cultural conditions. Ask yourself (and/or the owner of the plant) what is different from the conditions of the plant from which you took your recent cutting.

• jake579
    11 years ago

Ohh okay, thank you so much for your help! Much much appreciated!

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists