Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Elderberry Propagation

Posted by warren4321 z5 me (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 6, 10 at 5:05

Hi all.

I am a garlic farmer and we are trying to expand into elderberries. We have wild Canadian Elderberries (S. canadensis) here which will very easily root if a cutting is stuck into moist soil.

I figured that that technique would work on named cultivars, as well, but so far not much luck.

We have a large York elderberry bush, that I took about 150 dormant hardwood cuttings from 6 weeks ago and planted them in the soil, with at least one node below the surface and one node above. They have all leafed out, though all are faring poorly except one. That one, I checked and has roots, however the ones of the others that I checked have no roots. The ground is moist, but not overly so.

I did this as well with the best wild selection of S. canadensis, and all are faring nicely except one which hasn't put out any growth but doesn't appear dead yet.

What I'm wondering, is if there is a trick to this. People propagated elderberries for thousands of years prior to rooting hormone, though is rooting hormone standard use for elderberries now? If so, what type and strength?

I figure that York must be easy to propagate, since it is one of the more common cultivars in the trade, so help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Elderberry Propagation

Use a cutting of firm new growth apply 0.1-0.3% IBA (rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist taking 35-80 days to root

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here