Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sugi_c

Pachira propagation

Funny, some things I try to propagate and it ups and dies on me. Others root consistently, and some, like this Pachira leaf, I didn't expect.

So I have this wonderful Pachira that graces a tabletop in the corner of my house. It's adjacent to the window, and this one leaf was irking me because it had three leaflets instead of 4 or 5. So, I snipped it off one night and not wanting to get up to throw it away, I stuck it into a small pot of ficus cuttings I was rooting -- and intended to throw it out when it yellowed, or died.

Except it never did. It stayed beautifully green so I left it there.

Well, then one day, it decided to start pushing itself out of the soil! I thought the soil was shrinking and decided to remove all the cuttings.

As expected, the Ficus cuttings' roots were impressive but most surprising was this LONG root coming out of this leaf. Perhaps I got a bit of stem....? Anyway, given that it had reached the bottom of the pot and was pushing itself out of the pot, I placed it into a taller pot for now.

Anyway, I have never tried to propagate Pachira before. Now to think of it, I usually don't attempt to propagate anything that has a "trunk". I can't envision what I'd get, I guess.

I'm curious what this leaf will become. Is it going to grow into a long single stem with a few leaves or will it actually grow into a legitimate plant with a trunk and canopy type leaves? If it's the latter, I am more than happy to grow it out but if it's going to be a long stick with a few leaves, I'll probably throw the leaf into another pot somewhere instead of having it take up precious real estate.

Grace

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Elegant Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
VA & DC's Finest General Contractor