Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ms_minnamouse

Can you explain to me rooting hormone vs. solution??

ms_minnamouse
15 years ago

For example, there's Olivia's Cloning Gel (rooting hormone). But there's also Olivia's Cloning Solution.

There's Clonex Rooting Compound. Then there's also Clonex Clone Solution.

Why is there a solution in addition to the gel?? Why would you need it?? Is the gel not sufficient? The descriptions of the gels say that they contain nutrients to get the clones started. So why would you need the solution to? Is it different than very diluted regular fertilizer?

Comments (8)

• georgez5il
    15 years ago

the type (powder, gel, solution) is not as important as the strength of the active ingrediant. It is necessary for the active ingredient to come in to contact with the cambium & not its form (powder etc) The reason for the different forms is to satisfy the desires of the customer. & each has advantages/disadantages in how they are diluted etc..... You do not need more than one of the forms to have success.

• medontdo
    15 years ago

ok this is stupid, but is it kinda like bottom watering and top watering? ummm i don't know if what she's talking about is the same as what i have but i use the rooting horomone powder and when i water, i water from the bottom with the transplant rooting thingi to help it grow faster. or get roots faster. or i think thats how i understood it. well it seems to be helping. LOL :')) is it the same as that??

• tcuser
    15 years ago

You want to get root for your cuttings. You can put your cuttings in water and get root. However, it takes long time and successful rate is low. How to improve it? There are some plant grow regulators (PGR) such as IBA and NAA that promote root. There are 3 forms which contain PGRs on the market: powder, gel and liquid. Powder is the most popular form. It's cheap; can keep longer. However, you have to wet cuttings before you stick powder so powder can stick to your cutting. You need to control you humidity in your soil carefully or you avoid rot root. Gel is more convenient; however, gel should has anti-fungus/bacteria substances to keep it's longer and less rot root. So it costs more. Some spraying and dipping systems use PGR liquid to promote root. At a certain time, the systems spray or dip cuttings in solution so less rot root, have more roots and cuttings grow faster. This system has the highest successful rate but too expensive. So it's your choice. Cheer.

• taxonomist
    15 years ago

I annually root many hundreds of plants and have used many different kinds of substances to induce the root formation. What in the world is PGR? I haven't ever heard of it. However, I believe some form of IBA is superior to any other hormone preparation. It is sold in many forms under many different names and it will behoove you to begin to use it.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

There are many plant growth regulators (PGR) available but not necessary or commonly used by home gardeners. Al

• tcuser
    15 years ago

It's is the way a master explains about the hormone. I like the idea "Simple is best". We don't use a cannon to kill mosquito. Use a right tool for a right job. My mom often laugh at me: "why do you use hormone, B-1, inositol, fungicide, perlite, vermiculite, peat moss to root cuttings? I root a ton of herbs and vegetables just using water". I also like the idea: "fungicide to be more important". I hear many people talking about sterile soil when rooting but don't pay much attention. Now I think it again. Why do we normal fail to get root? Because we get rot root from fungi and bacteria, right? If we use fungicide or sterile soil we can reduce much much rot root. Sometime, simple ideas make a big difference.

• ms_minnamouse
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well, can some one give me a simple answer? What is a good rooting gel that can be used for a wild arrangement of propagation strengths that contains fungicide?