Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
loropetalum propagation

Posted by growmyown2 NC (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 18, 09 at 8:22

I have two loropetalum plants that we want to propagate new plants from, has anyone had any luck doing this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: loropetalum propagation

Taake cuttings of firm new growth (july) apply 0.3% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil, mist... with bottom heat taking 30-70 days to root

o

I take it this is for doing indoors.
We have heat pad from a seed starting kit, would that work under a clear plastic container with a lid to make a mini greenhouse?
Would they need any sunlight to form roots?
Thanks.

o

That will work, but no sunlight please. Remove the dome at lease every couple of days to allow oxygen in and excess moisture out or you may have a mildew problem. Al

o

• Posted by brandon7 6b (like 7b now) TN (My Page) on
    Mon, Apr 20, 09 at 11:50

They need sunlight, just not direct sunlight. They need to be in something equivalent to partial shade so that the dome doesn't become an oven by trapping the heat that would be produced in direct sunlight.

o

Thanks for the replies.
My wife and I are new to propagation.
Last fall I tried taking some cuttings from Knockout roses, dipped them in rooting hormone,stuck them in potting soil and covered them with mason jars. I left them over the winter outside in partial shade, this spring we had rooted rose bushes growing.
That sparked our interest into moving on to other plants.

o

I rooted a few pieces of this shrub last fall. They took a couple months and didn't survive the winter. I used sand and stuck them outside in full shade. I'm going to try again this year, taking the cuttings earlier.

o

Im currently rooting 45 loropetalum cuttings in my homemade greenhouse. Its been two weeks since i took my cuttings and im having good results so far. I've found out that they like to be cool around 65 to 70 degrees. I use a homemade misting system and it seems to be working well. I mist three times a day. There are some that dont look too good and dont look as if they will make it. Most are doing fine tho.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here