Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question re Lavendar cuttings

Posted by ellenr z6 NJ (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 5, 07 at 8:30

Hello,
I rooted 2 lavendars from cuttings 10 days ago, in vermiculite, and they are doing great. Normally at this time I would transplant them into pots with container soil.
However, I'm hoping in not too long it'll be warm enough for me to plant them in the garden.

Wondering if I can keep them in the vermiculite for a couple of weeks, or if I should repot them now, then transplant them into the garden?

thanks,
ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question re Lavendar cuttings

The vermiculite has little or no significant nutrients to support the growth of a newly rooted plant. You could leave it but If you transplant it into a nice plyable soilless mix and fertilize, you will have a much healthier plant that has a better chance of avoiding pest and disease problems. Janet

o

Lavender will not root in 10 days so I guess you are saying you determined you have roots 10 days ago. If you plan on planting in the garden in two weeks time I would leave them in the vermiculte and fertilize with half strength liquid fertilizer. Al

o

Janet,
when you say, "soiless" mixture, is that the same as the container mixture I normally plant in, or is this something special for newly-rooted plants.

Can you suggest a brand, or what I'm looking for?

thanks,
ellen

o

Hi Ellen, I use Promix, but the brand doesn't matter, you can use the potting and seeding mix, its lighter than normal pottin soil, it actually has not soil properties it's a mix of peat moss, vermiculite and perlile. Light soil is important for the roots to work their way through as they grow. The vermiculite is a good medium for growing roots, but again has no nutrient value, and if left too long can rot. I always (as taught in my 2 gruelling years of horticulture studies)start to fertilize upon transplant at 1/4 strength every watering unless the plants become turgid (limp), then use straight water and resume the fert schedule as normal next watering. Same for seedlings once they get a couple of sets of true leaves. I did lavender cuttings myself and was told I couldn't do it or it will take forever, congratulations on rooting your lavender, don't ya just love the smell! Janet

o

I meant to unless the plants are not turgid, turgid means not limp, sorry if that caused any confusion. Janet

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here