Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to root forsythia?

Posted by shasta_2008 5 NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 4, 09 at 8:54

I have 5 forsythia bushes and would like to root some, last year I cut the branches and put them in water outside, they did not grow roots. Any ideas on how to do this?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to root forsythia?

For me, the easiest way to propagate forsythia is by simple layering. Just bend a branch down and place dirt on top, leaving the end exposed, (you may want to wound it a bit where it comes in contact with the soil, but I found you really don't need to). Place a rock on top just to make it stay put. If you do this in spring, you can probably sever the branch from the parent by fall and pot it. Or you can keep it there till next spring and then cut it from the parent and place it right in the garden site. You may also want to try air layering.

o

I had made what I called my "sprouting garden" with old railroad ties north of my garage. I filled it with sand, and when I had cuttings, I would cut them about 6-8 inches long, strip off the lower leaves and make a 2 inch cut into the stem and stick that into a small hole made with a screwdriver. Next thing I knew I had TOO many, so I gave away all but a few.

o

Hi, Shasta.
I'm trying to root forsythia too. My neighbor cut down a big plant and I got a lot of the whips. Here's how I'm trying to root them: I cut them into 12" lengths and have them stuck in 1-gal jugs (about 8 to a jug) filled with MG potting mix and pine bark (about 80:20). I'll keep these in dappled shade over summer. Hopefully they'll root and I can plant them out in Fall. Maybe we'll both get some nice color next spring! :-D

One thing, I did not use any rooting hormone on them. I wonder if I should have. These whips had no open buds when I got them. I could always add a little root stimulator to my watering schedule, I guess...

Kris

o

Forsythia is one of the easiest of all shrubs to grow from cuttings. Any twig or branch stuck in the ground will root without any extra help. My forsythia grew from a stick I was using to mark the end of a row of vegetables.

o

A friend wanted some of my forsythia. I tried cuttings in soil, bending them over and putting soil on. The easiest way was, stick them in water, keep in a shady spot, and they root. I had 2 gallons of cuttings, they took like crazy.
Darlene

o

winter cuttings of forsythia plugged into dirt root easily.

o
RE: How to root forsythia? Help Please

Looking for help. I cut some branches off of some newly planted forsythias. I've read so many options I decided to try a few.I put some in a vase inside, some in a bucket on the deck and a few in the ground planted nicely like I would any new plant. Most of the cutting already look dead, the leaves have wilted with no signs of green. A few look like I may have some luck. I just cut a few more, placed them in a bucket with a bit of sugar in the water. Should I have them in the sun or in the shade? How long should it take to see roots and how long should the roots be before putting them into dirt? Any help would be appreciated as I've never done cutting before.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Princess and the Pup

o

shasta_2008,

I want to share what I witnessed. I put mulch last year and it was only during March this year that I noticed that I put mulch over a low branch. The part that got buried with mulch was the part near the main trunk, about 7" from the main trunk. When I removed the mulch and lifted the branch, it had roots. I wasn't aware that I can make a new plant out of it until I read this thread. Not sure if the roots are still there but probably, it has already dried up. I'll check it tomorrow.

o

How small of a Forsythia can I take cutings from to root other places in my yard?

o

For the past few years I have been admiring a dark gold forsythia in a neighbors yard. I've never seen one this color. I stopped and asked if they knew what variety it was, but they had no idea. After coming here and reading your posts I decided to see if I could root some of it from cuttings. I asked if I could take some cutting and they said I could.

I waited until it stopped blooming and went back and took 24 six to ten inch cuttings. I planted 9 directly into the ground in groups of 3. I planted in part shade and just garden soil with a little potting mix and keep them moist. The other 15 I put in water that I changed every 3 to 4 days. I kept them in vases under a table on my deck where they got just a little sun, but not enough to heat the water. No rooting hormone. Two months later, all have rooted and are growing. One even has a little yellow bud on the stem. I've taken the 15 out of the water and put them in 4 inch pots. Any questions? ;-)

eose

p.s. I had never done anything like this before.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here