Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
rubber tree cuttings

Posted by best_botanist (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 18, 06 at 9:01

hello, i have a couple of rubber trees that have NO leaves on the bottom half. if i could chop off the top and plant that it would look buetiful. but the bottom half is gross looking. the top is soft not tlike the bottom. is there any way i can cut the top off and plant it. and how i go about doing that. thnks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: rubber tree cuttings

Look into (Air Layering( it is perfect for what you want. Also, you can save the stump, and it will grow multiple new trunks WITH leaves.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Layering

o

i tried air layering it never works for me

o

I cut it off, strip off the lower 1/3 of leaves, daub in root hormone and put in a perlite-vermiculite medium. Keep the medium wet (I mist it about 3 times a day) and check in about a month or so. Should have a good size root ball on it.
BTW, be careful with the sap from those, it is an irritant.
Cat

o

so i cut it about 1/3 the way down from the top or were.

o

I had one on my front porch that the dogs decided to chew up,, I cut it back to nothing thinking it would die anyway and this year its coming back great...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here