Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grafting wisteria

Posted by countymounty 6-ish Tulsa, OK (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 8, 06 at 10:03

I would like to know if anyone has experience with and/or recommendations for grafting wisteria vines? I am interested in growing wisteria at our new home. We had several Japanese wisteria (W.floribunda - Macrobotrys) at our old home and while we liked the purple flowers hanging down, it was a constant battle keeping ahead of the spreading roots. We also had several Evergreen eisteria vines (Milletia reticulata). The roots of the Evergreen vines did not spread like the Japanese vines did, but we did not like the red flowers that formed on top of the vine instead of hanging down below. I was thinking about grafting a Japanese vine to an Evergreen root stock and was wondering if anyone has done that or if there is a better combination. Any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grafting wisteria

I'm pretty sure the vines have to be the same Genus. From the names you listed, it looks like you have different Genus.
I suppose it is possible for some plants to graft across Genus.

I'm in the process of grafting a white wisteria onto a purple one so I will have two color flowers from the same vine. The vine is growing all alone so I can keep control of the beast.

o

I'm in the process of grafting a white wisteria onto a purple one so I will have two color flowers from the same vine. The vine is growing all alone so I can keep control of the beast.

hi
i want to do that as well. can you explained me how to do the process of grafting a white wisteria onto a purple one so I will have two color flowers from the same vine.
hope you can help me
PLUR

o

Here is what I have tried and failed:
Winter season, Side veneer graft (see most propagation books for description)

Summer Season, Bud graft.

I will try both of them again this year.

I have been successful with both types of grafts for apples and pears but not with wisteria yet. My white and purple
vines are both Japanese wisteria.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here