Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Layering Apple Trees

Posted by smithjw none (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 25, 13 at 10:05

Why are apple trees propagated by grafting scions onto rootstock, when the rootstock itself is propagated by layering? Isn't it adding a step to do the grafting? Why not just layer the tree the scions are taken from and plant whole seedlings? Is it really worth it to get the properties the rootstock provides? I'm sure there's a reason it's done this way; just wondering if someone knew why. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Layering Apple Trees

and if no one here has the answer... try the fruit forum

ken

o

Some want the dwarfing characteristics or disease resistance given by a different rootstock. Others need roots that are hardy enough to handle extreme cold winters. If you want a regular tree, in a relatively mild climate, air layering would work I think. Never tried it myself though....

o

They type of rootstock is very, very important. It determines or influences:

1. ultimate size of your tree
2. growth rate
3. amount and complexity of maintenance
4. ease of harvest
5. productivity
6. preciosity
7. senescence
8. hardiness
9. adaptation to different soils and soil conditions
10. drought tolerance
11. how well the tree will be anchored
12. whether the tree will need permanent or temporary support (not just how well it's anchored)
13. fruit size
14. resistance to certain diseases
15. resistance to certain pests
15. rootstock and scion graft compatibility
16. tendency to sucker
17. and I'm sure I'm leaving off something.

Also, grafting is faster and more reliable. Some apple cultivars are impossible or very difficult to layer (some are much easier).

o

Yep, it's all about what the rootstock can contribute. By the way, interstock selection can be just as important as the rootstock.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here