Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cstrombe

Bougainvillea cuttings--potting soil or other?

Chris Stromberger
16 years ago

Interested in propagating some bougainvillea cuttings. Is potting soil ok to use as the medium, or is one of the cutting mediums, like vermiculite or whatever, a better choice?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments (7)

• botanical_bill
    16 years ago

I did that last year and used perlite and profile (turface). I baked the mixture in the oven to sterilize it and had success. This was my first try and shortly after starting them I had to move and shook the entire planter around. I think this killed allot of them but I ended up with 4 plants out of 20 to start. So 1/5 success on my first try, I consider it a success.

One thing I did that really seemed to get roots to grow fast was to use dip n grow and I put a heating pad under the box. I pulled a few to see if they were rooting and I had roots in about a week.

• Chris Stromberger
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info. I guess they don't need any nutrients while rooting (my thinking was that the potting soil mix might provide some nutrients)?

Was the heating pad just a regular heating pad, like for your back?

This is my second attempt, so lots of questions! I tried once years ago, with some success, but don't recall much specific about what I did.

• botanical_bill
    16 years ago

Im in the same boat, I want to do it again this year but I wish I had written down exactly what I did. I got a regular heating pad for your back but made sure I had an adjustment for it so I could just set it on low. I had it on in the winter when it got in the 40s-50s at night. I think I got it at walgreens and paid under twenty for it. Check ebay. I have used dip n grow on other clippings and have huge success with that, you may want to give that a try, $12 with shipping on amazon.

Im trying to think, I think I did water it with an extreamly low dilution of mirical grow. Just to get some nutrients in but not too much.

My big down fall was packing my tray and moving it. I had no choice.

Let me know what you do. Im going to be buying a house and moving sometime soon so I have to live vicuriously through you this year.

• Chris Stromberger
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Just an update. I did 8 cuttings of one plant. None of those appear to be taking. I then did 8 cuttings from a different plant ("Raspberry Ice" bougainvillea) , and after about three weeks, three of those are showing new leaves. Still have them in the "chamber" because the new growth is still small and slow, but looks like a few are working.

• Chris Stromberger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just an update--none of the cuttings made it. Might have left them in the chamber too long. Did not check for roots, was just waiting for significant new growth, which never materialized (just got a little teaser of tiny new leaves, but nothing more). May try again.

Let me know if you have any success!

• xanthoria
    14 years ago

I have 8 cuttings in water with roots starting to show - how do I transfer to pots? I have this idea that I'd put each in a pot full of water and gradually add potting soil to the water so the roots didn't break... is that crazy?

What size pots?
    What medium?
    Any other tips?

....thanks!

• Chris Stromberger
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey xanthoria, no idea on your question unfortunately. Hopefully someone will chime in. I was curious how long it took for the roots to begin showing?