Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
oak leaf hydrangeas?

Posted by ibartoo z8 sc (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 08 at 11:23

Is now a good time to root oak leaf hydrangeas? I had some started in december on a heated porch, but I have lost all of them. I can get more cuttings but I have to get them now and I wondered if it would be a good time from. My daytime temps are mid 60's -low 70's and nights in 50's. Any ideas?
Thanks, Linda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: oak leaf hydrangeas?

I prefer to use cuttings taken late May through July... of firm new growth.. apply 0.8% IBA (Rooting hormone) stick in well drained soil & mist (cut leaf to 1/4 or 1/3 normal size) takes 21-50 days to root...

o

so am i to the understanding we no longer put our plants in the water to root?? another stupid question, i know, but i wanta learn this all!!
if i understand, its 1/2 perilite, 1/2 peat, then the plant dipped in rooting hormone, then poke the hole in the mix, then put the plant in, pat the area, lightly water??
then mist the leaves??
is this right?? watch for new growth and how do ya know for sure if you have roots? besides the tug and possibly ruining the roots??
the reason i ask is cuz i had a whole bunch of cameila cuttings and ya know every one of them died. 1/2 in water and the other 1/2 in soil. but it was soil/peat. no misting. over winter. drrrrr. :'(( sorry for hijacking linda LOL

o

Thanks George, you are always a great help!

Medontdo, I have always had mine rot in water. Lots of people say that hydrangeas and camellias will root in water, but not for me. Gardenias and confederate rose maybe, but not other things. If you want camellia cuttings email me.( june is the best time for those.) Linda

Ps. The way you know they have rooted is when they start putting out new growth.
I have killed many a cutting with the "tug" test! LOL

o

thank you! i have the same problem!! :'((

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here