Return to the Plant Propagation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
grafting onto 4 year old lemon

Posted by sandrogrima 10a (SW FL) (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 15, 13 at 13:30

Hi,

I have a lemon i planted 4 ears ago. It was about 3/4" thick at that time but has grown tremendously. It is a hybrid called pondarosa.

I have an emotional attachment to the tree and would like to keep it but the massive lemons (1-2LB) are hard to use.

how easy would it be to graft one or more additional varieties of citrus onto this tree?

Any info would be highly appreciated!

Thanks
Sandro Grima
Cape Coral FL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: grafting onto 4 year old lemon

if you dont get an answer here ... try the fruit forum.. i never see those experts here ...

ken

o
RE: BTW .. i dont get it ...

BTW .. i dont get it ...

if you graft onto it.. you will cut off all the old tree.. but for the roots ... so i dont know how grafting will help you

you know.. you are allowed.. when the fruit are dime sized.. to simply pick them off.. and enjoy your tree.. w/o the man-killing fruit .. lol ..

ken

o

I've seen apple trees with as many as 5 varieties grafted onto one tree. I would imagine the same could be done with lemons.
It wouldn't hurt to try a branch or two and see what happens. I personally have poor luck with grafting, but I like to keep trying. :)

o

ken_adrian, i didn't explain well enough. I meant, can i add variety to the tree buy grafting onto only 1 or 2 or the main branches and leaving the rest alone.

Make sense?

o

that is exactly what i was hoping you understood ...

but then.. you still have the giant ones ... hence my other suggestion ...

again.. i recommend you talk with the peeps in the fruit forum ....

ken

o

For your lemon, budding is more appropriate and easily done. I think if you google budding citrus several videos will be available to get you started. Al

o

thanks for all the info!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Plant Propagation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here